Author Topic: Alternative to Z/D?  (Read 2852 times)

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Alternative to Z/D?
« on: September 19, 2006, 10:22:57 am »
My vet has recommended Z/D for Bo's tender tummy/chornic pancreatitis.  I don't know the first thing about this food, but I have some concerns about Science Diet in general.  I wondered if anyone had a recommendation for an alternative food brand/type that would be ok for sensitive stomachs.  I have used Natural Balance Fish & Potato in the past, but she said we can't use that anymore.  I don't want to think that she's promoting a brand that I can only buy from the vet's office, but hey...the thought had crossed my mind.  Suggestions, anyone?
Jenn & Bo

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Kiahpyr

Re: Alternative to Z/D?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 10:38:00 am »
I would tell the vet that you're not going to feed z/d to your dog. I've had this conversation with my vet and he respects it. We go over ingredients that will work then I look for the closest matching food to it.

Kiah has a sensitive stomach and my vet wanted to put her on some SD food and I said no way. SD is full of fillers and could cause other problems with the dog like more shedding and icky poos. I feed Kiah Natural Balance. Sorry I don't have any other ideas.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: Alternative to Z/D?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 01:41:53 pm »
Royal Canin makes a prescription sensitive stomach type food

Here's the info:
http://www.royalcanin.us/documents/CanineHypoallergenic.pdf

I don't know the first thing about this food, just saw it at Petsmart.. and someone came along and told us we had to have a  Banfield prescription in order to buy any of the foods in this particular section.  Bah.. :)

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”