Author Topic: need help on puppy food!  (Read 4937 times)

Luvmydanes

need help on puppy food!
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:06:43 am »
So I need to put Goliath on puppy food until he is 16 weeks old, and right now he is on diamond, but was wondering if you guys could suggest something cause they don't sell that brand around here where we live. He just ran out of what the seller had sent with him, and he has been really wanting Jasmine's food, but I am not sure how good it is for him to be eating adult food yet - does anyone know that can help? Thanks!

Kandi

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: need help on puppy food!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:42:33 am »
Why does he need to be on puppy food until he's 16 weeks? I have never heard of that...? I started my big paw puppy (Nigel) on adult food as soon as I brought him home. I fed him Solid Gold Wolf King for a while but he didn't do well on it, so I switched him to DVP Natural Balance. He has done great on it, he still eats the same food now. He grew up at a nice slow and steady pace and now he is a very healthy 18 month old! ;D

I would find out what they carry at your local pet supply shops and just see what they have that's premium or holistic, and pick up the adult formula. Or just go ahead and give Goliath what you give Jasmine, I don't know of any reason why he can't go ahead and eat adult food now. :)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:57 am »
I have heard that it is best to have giant breeds on adult food as early as possible. Unless the food has something in it that controls the rate they grow. Innova has one I think. I know a girl that started her newf on raw as soon as she got him and he didn't grow too fast or anything. I think as long as your pup isn't growing too fast then all should be good.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 08:41:11 am »
I started lucah on an adult food, but the vet strongly suggested a puppy food.  Mainly for the Calcium and other things that help strengthen bones. 

Many people here have told me to do both things (adult and puppy). Realistically it is up to you and what you feel comfortable with.  I chose puppy because I like the idea of having the calcium levels monitored, however if you look at the adult foods they all have the same amounts of calcium. 

So....we picked Innova Large Breed puppy.  It works very well and Lucah has improved since we switched him from Solid Gold Wolf Cub. We plan to keep him on it for the first year...which is another vet recommendation .

Luvmydanes

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 09:32:53 am »
Thanks you guys...I think I will feed him what Jasmine is eating. He is not at all interested in his puppy food unless I put Jasmine's up and out of reach of him. Otherwise he just eats hers. Also, we sometimes mix wet dog food in with Jasmine's dry food, do you think its ok to do that with him being that he's still so little? I have forgotten all these rules!  :o

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 11:32:26 am »
Tina, do you know where they sell innova? I'd like to look into that.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 12:23:41 pm »
Innova is made by Natura, here is a page on their website that helps you find a store that carries their food:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab

Good luck! I hope you can get it near you, it is really an awesome dog food!!!

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 12:26:45 pm »
I live in Los Angeles, and I find it all over.  I don't know what state you are in, but I am sure you can find it a a smaller pet/feed store.

Innova has the right amounts of protein and fat, which is a big part of the reason why I switched. 

Luvmydanes

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 01:37:45 pm »
The thing that concerns me is I had heard that great danes aren't supposed to have more than 25% protein in their food. Is that true or was I misinformed?

Luvmydanes

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 01:49:11 pm »
I just saw that - thanks!