Author Topic: Any Suggestions?  (Read 3385 times)

EllieAndBlu

Any Suggestions?
« on: October 04, 2006, 02:00:04 am »
Riley struggles with a sensitive tummy, that shows by way of loose, runny poops.... any suggestions for a high quality food designed for sensitive tummys? The vet said any lamb/rice kibble would be suitable... what do y'all think?

Thanks!

*modified for bad spelling*
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 07:35:54 am by EllieAndBlu »

EllieAndBlu

Re: Any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:14:57 am »
lets see... as I dig into my feeble mind to try and remember....

Since he was rescued in December....

Innova
Wellness (I think)
Blackwood (he did well on this but I wasn't comfortable with the extra fillers, etc...)
Canidae

His reactions to the foods are loose poops...  he does well for a few weeks (though poops are never rock solid, so to speak) and then it's back to yellow/orange loose, runny poops. The only food he did well on was Blackwood's lamb/rice.... and of all listed that is the only lamb/rice tried.

Riley has been eating rice made with chicken broth for the past couple days....

I hope this extra info helps.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 02:35:10 am »
Holly, Riley was eating Innova adult dry food.

Jenn, the vet said lamb/rice is easiest on the tummy... he said lamb is easier to process than the other proteins.

Do y'all think Riley should be on a senior food? I put Blu on senior food when he was six because hi poops became soft and when I switched him over, the lower fat content worked well and his poops were super-solid again.

p.s. Thanks for all your help! I feel soooo badly for the big guy...  I know solid poops would make him (and me) feel better.

*modified to add* Ooops I have an added question.... Riley and I have just started a training class... what do y'll think would be the best training treats for his tummy?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 02:46:12 am by EllieAndBlu »

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 04:32:58 am »
Thanks Julie.... I have not tried adding fiber yet... right now Riley is eating rice to calm down his tummy.... but I will try adding some when I slowly convert him to dry food.... whatever that may be.... oh what to do  ???

As for the water - he sure does drink a lot of it... I could try him on filtered water and see if that helps... though he's always lived in this area so I don't know if it will make much of a difference... but I will try anything at this point.

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 02:28:28 am »
Well the poor Donkey... I feel so badly for him... this morning his tummy was gurgling and when I let him out he chowed-down on grass, which is not the norm for him.

Last night I gave him rice cooked in chicken broth along with some cooked chicken breast.... the poor guy is losing weight on eating only rice...

Any ideas on how long I should wait before trying him on new dry food?

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 02:43:52 am »
We went through this with Bava but to a lesser degree.  The vet said that the orange poops could be indicative of something with the colon not working right.  I'm sorry I can't remember exactly what he said.  But he said that sometimes the colon can't calm down, or some such.  He prescribed something that helped settle it back down and from then his poops became more solid and stayed that way after the medicine.  I can find out tonight what it was he prescribed if you like tonight.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:09 am »
Thanks Brandon... that makes total sense to me.
If it isn't too much trouble, I would love to know the name of the medicine the vet prescribed for Bava.