Author Topic: Phoebe Update  (Read 2668 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Phoebe Update
« on: October 05, 2006, 04:20:00 pm »
Well Phoebe went into the vet last night as I was concerned about the redness around her abdomin after the spay. I made the appointment with my usual vet, after concerns about the vet that did the spay/surgery. I was already feeling better and a little relieved that she was going in until 10 minutes before we had to leave and she tugged on the vet wrap on her ankle and pulled out two stitches. So we skipped waiting the 10 minutes and rushed on in. Phoebe's ankle was swollen and very red.

My vet was not as concerned about her abdomin, she had a fever, was shaking and whining, has lost 13lb since last week. She weighed 95lb before surgery and now she's down to 82lb. She stopped eating for basically a week. She's dehydrated...I was close to tears. See I had no idea she was doing so poorly. Since Phoebe has been with us all she does is lay around, she's not overly active and has never played with toys, so she was acting pretty much like herself minus the whining and redness. I was worried that the lack of eating was not good but the vet who had done the surgery assured me that she'd been through a lot and was likely still not feeling so hot and kept saying give it another day. So whatever I got sick of that and being the worried mom I am took her in to my vet.

He cleaned, drained and rebandaged her ankle, there was no need for stitches in the area where they came out. She does have an infection though now set (the other vet had used braided stitches) in so he gave us pain meds, antibiotics, anti inflamitory meds, a cream for her ankle that will help with the irritation and infection. He also sent us home with pill poppers to get the meds into her, and canned Gastro food. When we got home I got the meds into her using the pill poppers and then she ate a can of food (YAY).

Today Phoebe has again taken her meds, eaten a can and a half of the wet canned food plus a cup of Gastro kibble. She's stopped shaking and whining and she's drinking. YAY!! I'm already feeling better. Phoebe was supposed to go back in today for IV if she hadn't started eating and drinking but now that she's doing both she goes back in to see the vet again on Friday to see how she's doing and re-evaluate her then.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Update
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 04:27:13 pm »
See, you know your baby!!  You knew something was wrong and thankfully she's on the mend now!!!  Here's hoping she continues to eat and drink and gets back to her laid back non-whinny self!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 05:15:52 am »
Thank you all for your kind words. I have been so concerned and worried and felt so terrible for her this last while. I really felt guilty for putting her through both the spay and ankle surgery.

Since my last post she's eaten 5 cans of wet food, 3 cups of kibble and she's drinking a lot while taking her meds like a real trooper. She's stopped the crying, pacing and constant sleeping and has really perked up. Phoebe goes in for her re-check tonight to see how much weight she's put on and how her ankle is doing.

While my vet said that the Go Natural Salmon and Oatmeal is an excellent quality food and great choice he did say that if Phoebe persists with the gas as she has in the past that I may want to just keep her on the Gastro food she's on right now both in the wet canned and kibble. Time will tell. The Gastro is more expensive but if it settles her tummy and makes her feel better all around even after she's better then it's well worth it.

Phoebe thanks everyone for their thoughts and kind words. She'll update soon again and she cannot wait to go for a walk. We've been told to have her keep it easy until the stitches are removed so no real physical activities.
Thunder (Chihuahua)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 07:52:49 am »
Well....*sighs* we went in for the re-check last night. Phoebe has lost another 1 1/2lb from the 82lb on Wednesday. She's eating so my vet is not overly concerned. He said that he would increase the canned to make it 3 cans per day but with her not having completely solid poops right now (upset tummy) and with her having not eaten for 7 days prior that her digestion is slowed causing the loose poops, so as soon as they start to firm up we'll add one more can.

She's eating well, drinking and still taking her meds very well however last night when her ankle was checked once again it appears that 2 more if not 3 stitches are coming far too loose before their time thus come Sunday when we go back for yet another weight check/re-check he said in all likely hood he will staple her ankle closed as the ankle is such a tricky area to work on surgically due to the movement the dogs do.

Her ankle is looking slightly better, draining a lot on it's own which he said is good but the poor baby. I feel so terrible for her. I guess one positive has come out of all this though...Phoeb e has FINALLY shown interest in all the toys we bought for her. YAY! She had never before been given any toys aside from bones to chew so toys were very new to her. Now she happily lays with soft toys and chews or rather sucks on them. She carries them around and is retrieving them when we toss them inside. Perhaps when she is better and that ankle is mended we can work on tossing and retrieving outside. I'm pleased that she is finally coming around to try new things because I felt so bad that she was not doing anything aside from eating, drinking, sleeping and going potty.

We'll keep you all posted, and I'm praying that her ankle gets better really soon.
Thunder (Chihuahua)