Author Topic: Help with name  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Help with name
« on: October 06, 2006, 03:56:26 am »
I'm getting a puppy Sunday. Its a female Harl Great Dane. I out of names help. I have a Toester, Hershie, Tank and Nonnie. I had Onyx, Thor, Krazyie, Kahula, Stinky, Dribbles, Max and a black Lab named Smowball. So as you can see I'm not good with names. I was think Tivo cause I love my Tivo box but my boyfriend says NO! So maybe you can help.

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
Re: Help with name
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:05:38 am »
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 06:11:01 am »
Congratulation s  on getting a new puppy! How wonderful!!! Baby harlequins are so adorable. :-*

The technique I usually use to name a new dog is I pick out a movie character that I like a lot. Or a muppet or a fraggle... ::)... heehee! Maybe there is a show you watch that has a cool female character with a great name? Or think about your favorite movies and surely there is a unique name in there somewhere! I named my dane "Leeloo" after a character from the movie The Fifth Element, for example. I always have fun naming animals!!! :D I'm sure you'll come up with something... I actually think Tivo is cool! ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:11:55 am by doghealer »

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 06:57:27 pm »
I like to find the meanings in names too!!  Or I wait to see what kind of personality the animal has, I named a horse Pizzazz!!  I already knew Navarre's name years before I got him because it's from a movie.  I said I would get a female and name her Issabeaux (also from the movie), call her Issy, but Navarre left me before I could do that!  And there will never be another Navarre!!  You'll think of something!  Origin names are cool too!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:28:33 pm »
I like to find the meanings in names too!!  Or I wait to see what kind of personality the animal has, I named a horse Pizzazz!!  I already knew Navarre's name years before I got him because it's from a movie.  I said I would get a female and name her Issabeaux (also from the movie), call her Issy, but Navarre left me before I could do that!  And there will never be another Navarre!!  You'll think of something!  Origin names are cool too!

Heehee I had a cat named Navarre and a puppy named Isabeau!!! ;) (Guess we both like Ladyhawk??)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:59:33 am »
Heehee I had a cat named Navarre and a puppy named Isabeau!!!  (Guess we both like Ladyhawk??)

That's fantastic!!  I love that movie!!  Living in Mobile, everyone thought I named Navarre after the beach!!

Sorry we side-stepped your thread!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline LittleGrace

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 03:08:39 pm »
I think names with meaning to you are definately the way to go, we named Grace because of the power of the breed and also the clumsiness they have, especially in the puppy years!  I have a friend with a Leelu and another with a Someday (fairy tales: someday my prince will come). Before we got our puppy we narrowed it down to a couple names we really liked and then waited until we saw the puppy to choose "the one".

I am sure you will find something perfect, keep us posted!

Jen

Offline cataria

• Ankle Biter
  • Shade and Bella
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 03:10:15 pm »
I like to watch the pet and pick a name.  Shade loved to plop down in the shade after a hard time playing, so she became Quicksilver's Evening Shade.  Bella was "Princess" when I got her, but that soon changed.  She was so horrible looking in the throes of a demodectic episode.   So I named her "Bella" -- ahhh, the beautiful.  My latest cat, is "Pilgrim" because I rescued him on Thanksgiving Day.  (And I'm on cat "Mr. Beasley" number three...just because I think "Beasley" is such a cool name.  Some of you may remember the Mrs. Beasley doll from the little girl in Family Affair.  Heather (Navarre & some numbers) had one when she was a little girl.) 

Kat
"If unicorns and Pegasus exist only in the minds of children and dreamers, then I am honored to be among the ranks of the childish believer; for where my childhood dreams do die, there too my soul shall whither…" (Sue Lay - copyright 2002)