Author Topic: Puppy Acne  (Read 45754 times)

dohertyswissy

Puppy Acne
« on: June 22, 2005, 02:54:04 pm »
Ranger has a couple spots of "puppy acne" on his chin.  It doesn't seem to bother him at all.  The vet said that unless it gets really bad or spreads that there is no need to worry.  Does anybody else's puppy have this?  Do you do anything to get rid of it or do they outgrow it? 

I figure he just wants to be like mommy, considering I have a zit on my forehead right now and it is NOT cute!   ::)

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Puppy Acne
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2005, 02:58:01 pm »
My Dobie had acne under his chin when he was younger, I never treated it with anything, it just cleared up on its own.  And I have also noticed that my other dog Sasha has a couple as well, I am not concerned about it at all.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 04:28:58 pm »
Do you feed him from a plastic bowl? Some dogs have an allergic reaction to plastic. (Some cats too.) It can cause bumps/pimples around their mouth and chin. If you do use a plastic bowl, try using ceramic or stainless steel instead, and see if it clears up.
 :)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 04:41:10 pm »
Heard about the plastic verses stainless, never tried if it makes any difference though. Most puppies get it, especially the large ones that eat slobbery. One thing that you probably already do is to always wipe under chin when done eating.

When I had danes, they were I think more prone to the puppy pimples than the ones I have now, one breeder told me about two homeopath "meds" I used them and it clearit it up pretty fast, and it was bad to the point the vet wanted to put the girl  on antibiotic.

I am totally unsure about the english spelling so hold on here lol

One is called Silicia, the other is called Lachesis

They are both from the homeopath or health store, and I can highly recommend them

hmmmm maybe I ought to go see if I can find the correct spelling  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

dohertyswissy

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 05:49:21 pm »
Ranger has ceramic bowls, so I think I'm okay there. 

I think I'll just keep an eye on it.....thanks for the med stuff Marit!  Do you know a source?  Just in case it gets worse...

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2005, 12:28:59 am »
Jep...... got a great source, you know the store in the corner of Kungsgatan och drottninggatan in Goteborg?? the big health store there hehehe. No I dont really have a source here. I used to get it at the store I just told you where it is, mind you thats in SW so a bit too far to drive. But should you have the need, I am sure I can find a place to buy either here or on internet. I promise I wont make you swim to sweden lol

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline moonlitcroatia

• BPO Guru
  • Betti Boo March 2008
    • View Profile
    • Greta's Page
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 05:56:47 pm »
Ranger has a couple spots of "puppy acne" on his chin.  It doesn't seem to bother him at all.  The vet said that unless it gets really bad or spreads that there is no need to worry.  Does anybody else's puppy have this?  Do you do anything to get rid of it or do they outgrow it?  

I figure he just wants to be like mommy, considering I have a zit on my forehead right now and it is NOT cute!   ::)

Hello Ranger,

Have you been eating truffles out of the catbox or digging them out of the yard, perhaps?  Greta had a chin covered with acne when she did that same thing.  When she stopped eating poo the acne made a hasty retreat!

Greta
(Previous Acne Sufferer/S.E.A (Scheisse Eaters Anonymous)
I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love.  For me they are the role model for being alive.  ~Gilda Radner

Offline ILoveLucie

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 10:44:29 am »
Ranger,
My puppy, Lucie, is a Boston Terrier and she has acne on her chin and neck. We feed her from a plastic bowl too.
My biggest question is if there is medication that you can get her to clear up her ance, or should we just leave it alone?

Thanks!

Kerrie

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 11:32:09 am »
Hello!!!
Puppy acne is also caused from the rabies vaccine, as is aggressive tendoncies. If you notice the acne and some different behaviors it is do to the rabies vaccine.  My titan had the rabies vaccine and turned into a different dog. he actually doesn't have to have the vaccine again because of what it did to him. So we will just have the titers now.

Offline marlee_g00

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 09:06:29 pm »
I switched my lab from a plastic bowl to a metal bowl when it got really bad and now its going away.