Author Topic: Help me help my boxer  (Read 10096 times)

Offline bowsrboxrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help me help my boxer
« on: October 10, 2006, 02:51:35 pm »
I have a 1 1/2 year old boxer who has started having head tremors.  I took her to a neurologist and he feels that she needs to have an MRI and spinal tap done to determine her condition.  Has anyonen ever heard of a boxer having the shakes in there head.  You wouldn't know anything was wrong with her because she acts completely normal.  My husband and I don't know what to do for her. I would love any suggestion and or comments you have.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Help me help my boxer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 02:56:41 pm »
I am sorry to say I have no advise regarding your boxer; just wanted to say how cute he is and to wish you the very best in getting to the source of his tremors :-[

Randy

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 05:10:30 pm »
How often and how long does it happen?  The only reason I ask is that my boxer does that too.  I've only had her since March and she's only done it twice since I've had her and they don't last long.  I've had one vet, the one where she was kenneled before I got her, tell me that it was more than likely a seizure.  People have different kinds, so I guess dogs can too, cause my GSD had epilepsy and you definitely knew when he was having one.  You wouldn't know it with Daphne unless you were looking at her when it happens.  Has your vet done other tests on her first or did you take her to a neurologist first? My mom's dog had a stroke (shaking, eyes rolling, and other things) but her vet said that sometimes some kind of inner ear infection/disease presents itself with those type of symptoms. Sorry I can't remember the specifics, it's late and I'm rambling!!  Good luck with everything and I'd be interested in what you find out!  Too cute by the way!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline bowsrboxrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 07:05:20 am »
She started on Sept 25 of this year.  I can count on my finger how many she has had them.  I took her to my vet who recommended a neurologist.  I held off from taking her until a week later when she had an episode one day and then the next.  After our appointment my husband and I were wondering why noobody recommended bloodwork first.  I have an appointment this friday for that.

When ever she has an episode all she does is shake her head from side to side.  They last about 3 minutes.  I will post whatever I hear back from the test results.

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 07:07:42 am »
I hope they vet can find out what is wrong and help her, and you. Best of Luck!

~K

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 03:41:54 pm »
Definitely have a blood panel done and keep a log of when, what, and how long!!  Good luck, at keep us posted.
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Offline bowsrboxrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 11:20:10 am »
I don't know if I am doing this right or not but I was wanting to tell everyone about my Bella.  I took her to the vet and had blood work done.  The vet recommended putting her on seizure medicine.  I will hear about the test results on Monday probably.  She had an episode everyday this week.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 07:00:48 pm »
If it is epilepsy they will probably put her on phenobarbitol and/or potassium bromide (KBr).  Ask if they can start with the KBr first, phenobarb effects the liver in some dogs and oddly enough some vets still don't know to treat epilepsy with KBr (although they are getting much fewer).  When she first starts taking these she will basically be a little drunk!!  But it will level out, and the dose may need to be changed from time to time.  Search this site for epilepsy because I know there are many threads on it and someone has listed an epilepsy site that is very helpful, I don't remember it now sorry!  Hopefully ya'll will get everything figured out and Bella will be fine!

Offline bowsrboxrs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 07:11:21 am »
I heard back from the vet today.  They told met that all the blood work came back just fine.  I was hoping that something would have come up. I just want to know what is wrong with her and not have to go thru the MRI and spinal tap.  The vet did get me a prescription and I am going to see if I can get her on the other one you recommended. Thanks for listening and all your help. ;D

Offline nfrapid

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 11:37:37 pm »
Hi there,
i recently had a similar situation as you in dealing with the head tremors.
my little abby (now only 4) was experiencing head tremors, we couldn't figure out what the problem was - we finally had to to some tests and found out that it was her heart - she was having irregular heart beats.
If you are familiar with boxers, you may not be surprised to know that they are prone to having heart problems - this is cardiomyopathy (irregular heart beat). She did have to have to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours to confrim this, but she is on medication and has been tremor free for about a year now.
please let me know if there is anything i can do, maybe answer some questions.
nfrapid@adelphia.net