Author Topic: Fleas - YUK!!!!  (Read 5022 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Fleas - YUK!!!!
« on: October 11, 2006, 04:11:43 am »
Teddy has fleas - gross!!!!!!!!!

I've been spraying him and the cats with some Hartz flea killer (I can tell you the cats sure enjoy that - NOT!!), vacumming every other day, the cats have flea collars on, and Teddy was done with the over-the-counter back-of-the-neck treatment a few weeks ago (which was for a 30kg dog so I probably should have uesed a few of them?).

What have you used with good results to get rid of these nasty things???

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Fleas - YUK!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 04:59:55 am »
I know the feeling!!  This year is especially bad for me and my neighbors.  I've used frontline and advantix, they are suppose to work for 3-4 weeks.  I'm lucky if they last two!  So in the next week, the lady that lives upstairs and myself, will be treating the backyard and bombing the house.  She has a mini toy poodle and he is getting bathed every week, and every week he is covered!  I really think the back yard is infested.  So if what we are doing to the yard helps I will let you know!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 05:31:47 am »
I use frontline and have always had really good luck with it on my dogs. No fleas ever on Jasmine. I buy it according to her weight. And I have a GREAT website if you are interested in looking into it. You get a 3 month supply for like $30 or something like that. It's way cheaper than buying it through your vet. We paid $30 for 1 month at the vets office...and on this website you get 3 months for that price. Hope you find something that works - good luck!
www.petshed.co m

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:53:02 am »
Hi,

Just bought a bag of DE here really cheap.
http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/productcart/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=11

I hope it helps with Ticks, too
« Last Edit: October 11, 2006, 08:53:34 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline amylynn

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 11:04:59 am »
Do you feed your dogs a little DE with their food during flea season, or is it something you feed them all the time?
Blessings! :)
Amy Lynn

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 11:52:45 am »
I feel your pain!!!

Although living in the desert we don't have fleas I do remember the day that my SON brought home fleas to my indoor cats.  That was back in Virginia. 

Good luck, we did use some Skin So Soft and also some stuff from the vet but it took months to get rid of them.

I have to tell you bugs alone will keep me from ever moving back east or anywhere else the bugs are bad.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 12:29:55 pm »
We have definetly fought that battle this year!
Frontline no longer appears to work for many of us in this area.  I know it does't for me and many people I know. Which really stinks, because I used to love frontline.  I have since switched to advantage.  When they got really bad we gave all the animals a capstar tablet (It will kill every flea on your animal in a few hours) But the effects of capstar don't last long, we just used it to sorta "catch up" , after giving them the capstar we vacuum like crazy and spray the areas the animals hang out at with the Adams mist spray.  I've also been pretty impressed with the Adam Lemonene (that may not be spelled right) shampoo. 

If we have any more problems like this I think we'll go back to using Program, but the prices of it has gone up so it's a bit costly now.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline Aner

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 03:13:54 pm »
I don't know if it's common in cats, but when I put a flea collar on my cat, or washed him in the flea bath, he fainted.  I think he was allergic to whatever that chemical is that they use in the stuff.  Like I said I don't know if it was just him, but just be warned de-flea-ing cats.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 04:09:13 am »
We have had a real problem here as well  Both Frontline and Advantix have not worked so we also added Hartz spray.  I have treated the yards three times with the pelleted - guaranteed to last all summer - NOT - as well as now am spraying every 2 weeks.  Last week I sprayed with a professional exterminator formula that included a growth regulator (guaranteed to prevent eggs from hatching) and I'll be damned but the little suckers are still around.  We also are bathing like crazy  By the way Dawn dish detergent kills fleas - you don't need to buy a special shampoo!