Author Topic: Phoebe Update #2 Grrrrrrrrr  (Read 2042 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Phoebe Update #2 Grrrrrrrrr
« on: October 15, 2006, 10:19:29 am »
What frusteration! Phoebe had her stitches removed from her ankle this past Friday. Her ankle was looking so great. We were told not to keep wrapping it with vet wrap but to allow it to dry and expose it to air however to also cover it with some breathable fabric like a clean tube sock so that she could not lick it but so that it could get better. Well Friday night sometime through the night she chewed the sock off and chewed her ankle open. Saturday morning it was bac to the vet. While the scab is gone and her ankle looks worse it was not in need of stitches so we cleaned it, and I had to buy her a muzzle. We're now set back to a week of laid back activities, no licking the ankle and more antibiotics.
What frusteration. I never realized how difficult Lick Granuloma's can be, or how difficult recovery can be for big dogs. We're now nursing Phoebe like crazy, watching her like a hawk. I feel bad that she's in a muzzle but she needs it to heal. On a good note, Phoebe who dropped down to 80lb after the surgery has now put on 10lb and is up to 90lb. Thank goodness. She also has her spunk back which is awesome to see, but hard to control when we let her outside to go to the bathroom. She's on the week of laid back activities but she turns into a puppy outside. So she's now leash bound when going outside. I cannot wait until this has past for her. I am looking forward to walks and playing outside.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Update #2 Grrrrrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 10:56:56 am »
Poor Phoebe - it is soooo hard to be good!  I hope she heals quickly!  Best of luck keeping her quiet (I've been there with my nutty dogs!)

Randy & Harley

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Phoebe Update #2 Grrrrrrrrr
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 02:59:28 pm »
Sorry to hear that Phoebe had a set back.  It's always a challenge to keep them quiet so they can heal up.  I hope she gets better quickly.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience