Author Topic: Chumley Licking Wounds  (Read 2125 times)

Offline Suzanka

• Gnawer
  • This is Chumley
    • View Profile
Chumley Licking Wounds
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:18:31 am »
This is really a continuance of a previous post. I wasn't sure if I should have just kept adding or started over again so I chose the new start. Chumley is recovering well from his ACL surgery he's still a bit grumpy but I guess I would be too. It's only been two days. He is sniffing at his incision but so far not licking. The vet has me terrified to leave him alone without an ecollar. I had a friend pick up a cervical collar to try instead of the dreaded ecollar (thanks to a suggestion from a BP member). The problem, Chumley can escape from it in about 15 seconds. It was the largest size they had but it's not quite big enough. The straps barely make it across to catch a bit of velcro. Apparently the company that makes the no lick spray that is sold through vet clinics no longer makes it. I'm open to any other suggestions. I can't be with Chumley 24/7 for the next 8 days. I honestly don't think he is going to pull the staples out but it's a chance I can't take. Is there anything more humane then the ecollar?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Chumley Licking Wounds
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 11:30:50 am »
When in doubt, use duct tape.  As long as the collar goes completely around his neck, just duct-tape it on.  Fold one corner of the tape under so you can pull it off easily if you need to.  Duct tape is pretty strong stuff so it should keep it on him.

As far as the no lick stuff, try "Bitter Apple".  It's available at most pet stores, just check with your vet to see if it's okay to use on a wound.

lins_saving_grace

Re: Chumley Licking Wounds
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 01:46:38 am »
SUSAN?  I just replied to your email.  sorry it took me a couple of days to get back to you!  things have been crazy at my house.