Author Topic: shadow's tplo  (Read 6648 times)

Offline lyncoiris

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
shadow's tplo
« on: June 26, 2005, 11:50:30 am »
  My 120 lb White German Shepherd had his tplo done on 6/20/05.  I never did crate train him, but this surgery requires such confinement I regret that choice.  Any advice for a "mommy" that has to keep the "boy"  down.  We currently have him in a small bedroom, but I think as he gets better this won't work.  Any help from "big paw" people?  Thanks

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: shadow's tplo
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2005, 12:10:48 pm »
I don't have any magic advice, but I will tell you what I would do. For one, if he's confined to a small room instead of a crate, I would make sure to spend a lot of time in the room with him. I would take a book of a small tv or whetever and hang out in the room when I could so that he wouldn't get too lonely. Just being near mom makes a big difference. Also, is he allowed to have chew toys in his recovery? If so, I would probably give a constant supply of bully sticks, raw hides, etc so that he wouldn't get bored - I know that when Zoey has something good to chew on, she's perfectly content to sit still and chew away instead of running around.

Good luck, and let us know how his recovery goes.
RIP former BPO

Offline Siberexpress

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2005, 12:33:43 pm »
X Pen into a corner, not really a crate but would be more confining than the whole room.
If it doesn't have a double coat, you are not getting enough fur in your diet.
Ken

Offline lyncoiris

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2005, 12:38:35 pm »
  Shadow is the reason I found bigpawsonly.  I have been spending lots more time on the computer since his surgery because that is the room we have him in.  Also in the evening while lounging around in front of the tube.  I have many kong recipes, but forgot about the dumb e-collar.  So until he gets his staples out, he gets a little free time for his kong, untill he starts licking his leg.  Thanks for your suggestions. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 05:52:03 pm »
I have many kong recipes, but forgot about the dumb e-collar.  So until he gets his staples out, he gets a little free time for his kong, untill he starts licking his leg.  Thanks for your suggestions.  

Try a buly stick - he can chew away at it while still wearing the collar. When Zoey got spayed, we bought a 3foot long bully stick, and since it is long and thin, she could just chew on it while wearing the collar.
RIP former BPO

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 10:48:26 pm »
If you are sitting with him, could he have a break from the e-collar?  I found, with the Newfs, (hip replacement and TPLO twice (two dogs....not one really sick one! ;))) that if I was with them to remind them not to chew, they were fine and seemed much happier than with that huge collar on!!!

Offline lyncoiris

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 01:37:56 pm »
      Thanks for the bully stick tip!  He loves it.