Author Topic: Choke Chain or Martingale  (Read 11565 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Choke Chain or Martingale
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:51:19 am »
Hi,

Winslow has been on a choker since puppyhood. He does respond well but does tug some just because he wants to race ahead sometimes and I feel like the chocker is just too tight at those times. Is a martingale a better option then the chocker  ???
What is the consensus out there.

Rich
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 08:51:51 am by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Anakalia

Re: Choke Chain or Martingale
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 09:13:58 am »
I would use a Martingale before a choker, like Jenn said I would think a choker may get tangled in fur because it's a chain.  I know if a choker is not used correctly it can cause damage to the trachea.  I don't know much about Martingale collars though.  I use a pinch collar for Koby and I've never had a problem with him pulling.  I do have a question for anyone who does use a Martingale.  I know you're not supposed to leave a choker chain on a dog at all times, but is it ok to leave a Martingale collar on a dog? 

Thanks, Rich, for bringing up this discussion.  I can't wait to see what others have to say!

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 09:23:36 am »
Hi,

I do leave the chocker on all the time. Winslow's neck and mane are large enough to keep it pretty well covered so I don't fear a choking problem will occur, that is why most prefer not to leave a chocker on 24/7,  so there is no chance of the furkid catching it on something and hurting themselves.

I have not had a binding of his fur in the chain as it slides around easy enough to not get tangled, but I check it often to make sure.

It just seems the martingale would exert more even pressure on the neck if Winslow pulls for a tree or whatever while walking. Somtimes he is just so excited to be out and checking the world that it seems the choker stay constricted on his throat and he breathes heavier.

I guess I am leaning toward getting a martin but sometimes I just wonder if I am throwing good money away on something that is not really different than what is working. You know what I mean.

Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Lucah's Folks

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Lucah Project
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 09:30:38 am »
We started Lucah on the choker and he responded well, but when he wanted to pull there just wasn't any stopping him.  We also noticed that he was irritating the front of his neck and that worried us.  So we went out and bought the martingale.  We have used it for over a month now and it seems to work fairly well.  We find he is still pulling, but not as much. 

They say the advantage of the martingale is that it distributes the pressure more evenly, this is true, but we are still getting the pull.  Lucah will pull to the point he is weezing.  Our next step will likely be the pinch collar.  A lot of people say that pulling becomes less of an issue and since my wife weighs about 110 lbs I think she will appreciate that.

So overall, I think the martingale is better than the choke, but I think the pinch might work better overall as a training aid...of course, what ever works best for you is the best answer.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 07:42:18 pm »
I agree with all of the above,whatever works is what to use.
I feel that a martingale is safer than a choke chain,but both are effective if used properly.

Pulling is something that some dogs are stuborn about doing but that would be what I would work on NO Pulling.

I'm still working on walking all of my three with no one pulling.they tend to compete.but we are working on it and they will all be FOLLOWING me soon mot pulling.And when we achieve this,I will be sure to have my hubby take pics for all to see.

Good luck with Winslow,If you have a friend that uses a martingale borrow it and see if it makes a difference.Som etimes it does.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 04:11:07 pm »
If you're looking for a collar to leave on Winslow 24/7, I'd definitely say a martingale.  I've seen what happens when chokers get caught on random things.  It's an extremely scary and frightening experience for the owner as well as the dog.  Really not something I wouldn't want to wish on anyone.  :(

For pulling, I also agree with a pinch/prong collar as being a good, quick training aid.  Especially since he is heavily coated, they have more padding than say a dane with their thin fur.  So the prong/pinch seems to matter to them more than a choker would.  Either way, it boils down to what you feel most comfortable with and what works best for Winslow.

Another idea is to take him with you into a pet store that sells them and try them on and walk him around with them a bit.  You might be able to get a better feel for what you think would work out best for you guys.  Best of luck!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 04:19:08 am »
halti leads (look like a head halter for horses) works wonders on all of our dogs.  we can't walk my hubby's female pit at all without one, BUT i can walk all 5 dogs at once if they each have one on with absolutely no problem at all.  where the head goes the body will follow!!  just make sure you get the RIGHT size, or it will slip off, or else rub their eyes.  we had to bring each dog in to try them on at petsmart because i kept buying the wrong size!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006, 02:37:11 am »
Here's a good thread on Gentle Leaders.  I think the Halti looks similar, though I have not researched enough to know for sure. 

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,5268.0.html

I've had excellent results with the GL on one dog and a terrible response from another.  It really depends on the dog and IMO should only be used until you've finished the training.  The GL worked well with Carter because he is deaf and he had never been leash trained.  That is challenging to start at 2 yrs of age with a large breed.  He accepted it well and I was careful not to let him pull too hard too quickly.  Now I rarely use it on him because he has learned that the pull on the neck means that he needs to pay attention.  Eider is a little more challenging.  He hated the GL so we went with a prong collar.  He should know by now how to walk on the leash but he's so determined to stay ahead of Carter that he pulls quite a bit.  He wants to be boss but thinks he has to work hard at it because Carter is so much bigger.  ::)  Anyway, I'm making a long story longer.  The idea to try some of these out in the store is excellent.  Walk around the store a bit with one on before you buy or at least leave the tags on when you buy it in case you want to bring it back.  We did that with the prong collar for Eider and ended up taking it back for a bigger one.  The large is just barely big enough for Eider so we got an extra large and took out a few prongs because he's still young.  I'd imagine you'd need lots of extra prongs for a real extra large dog.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 02:38:43 am by longshadowfarms »
Daphne

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 02:46:58 am »
On Zero i prefer to use the pinch/prong collar. it seems to keep him well at my side and easy to control if another dog comes around. or kid for that matter(zero is not sure of kids, because we have none, and its not really something he was ever socialized with). For memphis we use a large hooped choker. it Does stay on him 24/7. because these, i find, are alot better than a normal choker(and much more stylish). they dont tangle the hair as bad (tho, with a dane, who would notice). and they dont seem to tug or anything. I really like them myself. We had one on Zeus when we had him. and it really suited him very well. we actually have zeus' in an urn with Zeus' name on it... memphis got a hand-me-down one from a dog that was PTS at the vet clinic... free stuff is always fun i guess...
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 08:59:38 am »
the gentle lead is the same thing as a halti, in the basics, i started axle out when he was 2 1/2, and sheeba started at the same time.  we don't know how old she is.  tiny our pit bull, got started when she was 1, and all the puppies i've ever raised, or babysat from then on used them with minimum resistance.  we had an amazing reaction from all our dogs, although it did take a lot of work to get them used to it, as they were already over 50lbs in weight and pretty set in their ways (besides the puppies).  the only problem i ever had was if you get them too big they can slip it off of their noses, so you do have to be really careful when sizing. 
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 11:11:55 pm »
Great question Rich, thanks for posting.

I've used a prong collar on Bear for a little over a year and it has virtually stopped his pulling and inattention issues. With a slight flick of his leash, his attention is back to me. I wouldn't be without it, but I recently spoke with a potential dog-walker who refused to walk my dogs since I used such a barbaric tool. :o  I re-thought the whole thing and am still convinced this is the best thing for Bear.

Nakita just has a regular collar and leash, but I'm thinking of using the prong on her as she's getting more and more stubborn in her old age (she'll be 10 in January).

I truly think it's an individual thing, and that it's best to test these things out if possible. My only advice re the prong collar is to find one that has a release on it so getting it on and off isn't such a bother.

Good luck - and please keep us posted.

:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 11:20:04 pm »
Hi,

The Choke is working fine, I think a training class will benefit both Winslow and Me, he hasn't done one since Puppy class at 8 weeks.

I also have not been the best enforcer of Leash control so the class will be good for both parent and Student!! I'll let you know how we do.

Rich
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 11:20:27 pm by Winslow 151 »
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 11:49:30 pm »
I'm so glad to have found this post!  Anna came with a collar on, and I couldn't figure it out.  From reading this post, turns out it's a martingale!  I'd never seen one before and truthfully, couldn't figure out how to remove it from her.  I'm still working on that, but at least now I know what type it is!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 02:19:13 am »
I just looked up the martingale collar out of curiosity and - duh! - my pups have them! They came from the SPCA with them.  ::) I think they're great in terms of keeping hold of them or grabbing them close, even with a leash on. Bear, however, still needs the prong. And - I can't figure out how to get them on/off either, except to loosen it and pull it over the dogs' heads. I tell ya - I learn at least one new thing from BPO every day!  ;D
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)