Author Topic: Should I???  (Read 3310 times)

Kirsti

Should I???
« on: November 02, 2006, 05:10:50 am »
K, SO I took Sammi to the vet because she hasn't been able to walk, her hips look like they are hurting her, and she wont jump into or out of the van or jeep anymore, we have to lift her up or out... anyway, So I was thinking when I called to schedual her appoitment..Th is will be one of the last times I go to this vet just because he's closer,  I want to start going to one a little more in town... anyway, so I make the appointment and all, then when we go in she gets weighed (53 or 54 pounds) and all that fun stuff... Well, I sit in the vet office for quite a while, and he finally comes in (thats okay cuz I know they are buisy people)... takes one look at Sammi, moves her around a bit, and go's oh! its aurthritis... well okay I thougth, at least we got that done...so we could help her... then he looked at how much she weighed, and he was like, she needs to go on a diet, you need to be able to feel her ribs (he didn't even tuch her ribs to see that you CAN feel them even if it is under all that fur, you don't have to look to hard)... So then I got to thinking about her breed, they were breed to be stocky dogs... and she is underweight for her breed standers... so who should I trust... the vet (which I won't go back to again, for other reasons) or the breed standers? I'm all confused, and I don't want to starve my girl..hmm, I'm just wondering what you all are thinking.. Thanks

~K (and sorry if its long and hard to understand)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Should I???
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:16:20 am »
I think another vet is in order.  A good vet should take several minutes to feel the dog all over....and talking to you and answering questions.  To just pronounce that Sammi is overweight by just glancing at the chart doesn't seem to be a good indicator of a vet caring much about your dog.

My first Newf, Otis had no hip socket on one side and I took him to an orthopedist to be evaluated, waving Otis' xrays.  The doctor told me up front, it doesn't matter what the xray says, it matters most how the dog is feeling, moving and reacting.  He spent at least 5 minutes just feeling him, walking him and watching him move. THAT is a great feeling to know that your dog is truly being taken care of!!!  (and Otis did have a total hip replacement... . :P)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 05:20:39 am »
I would go with the breed standards- and a new vet. Any vet should be happy to see you, spend a good amount of time examining your baby, and perform a thorough examination. All the good vets that I've gone to have put their hands all over our animals to check their weight, muscle condition, etc. as a quick once-over part of the exam.
But, the breed standards aren't always completely correct- not every dog matches up where they should. So what you have to consider is if she's a good weight for her frame and her body. If you can easily feel her ribs, good. If they're drastically jutting out, not so good.
But what I'm really thinking, is that I'm not a big fan of your vet.

mjjensen

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 05:34:42 am »
I think another vet is in order.  A good vet should take several minutes to feel the dog all over....and talking to you and answering questions.  To just pronounce that Sammi is overweight by just glancing at the chart doesn't seem to be a good indicator of a vet caring much about your dog.

I agree with newflvr about the vet. I did look in one of the dog books I have and breed standards for a female Norwegian Elkhound's weight range from 40-55 pounds and 18" to 20" tall so she is on the high end of the scale. I do agree that the vet should have checked her thoroughly before pronouncing her overweight. My first Newf Molly was put on a diet when she was diagnosed with HD even though she was in the middle of her weight range to make it easier on her joints and it helped her a lot.

Kirsti

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 06:30:04 am »
Thank you so much for you ideas... this was just the last straw I had with this dr... Any Idea's on what to look for in a vet? he's the only one I've had... my family thought I was nuts when I came home and wanted a new vet... he's done a bunch of things that I didn't agree with... but the last visit is really the last, I don't trust him with Sammi or my cats anymore.. I should have reilized it after one of my cats came home with a bad spay, they didn't close her up good, and she started bleeding everywhere... it was such a mess...

~K