Author Topic: Any other Old English Sheepdog owners out there???  (Read 46235 times)

Offline christhetoerag

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Any other Old English Sheepdog owners out there???
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2005, 04:36:14 pm »
Hi I have one OES at the moment, she is the 4th one I have owned and the 2nd to do competitive obedience. She is 2 years old and loves nothing better than to be swimming in the sea or the river or racing through the mud and brambles on the common. I have just started flyball with her and she adores it. If you go to www.toe-rag.com you will see a picture of her. I've only just started the web page and intend to improve it when I have time. The way things are going at the moment it could be never. What with working, training and shows I never seem to be at home. Hence why I am writing this at 11:30pm :-* :-*

Offline wtheisenhalsey

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2005, 05:46:34 pm »
Hi!

Yes...I have 4OES.  Bailey, Gilligan, Vaughn and Rylor.  Great dogs although having so many dogs romping along together they kind of get into mischief way too often.  I have had OES since 1975. I had my first litter last summer (the result is Vaughn and Rylor) 3 other puppies went to new homes which I luckily still get to see.  Yes, I love this breed. (despite all the grooming) they just never seem to grow up!  I will look forward to hearing from other OES owners out there from time to time!

Offline wtheisenhalsey

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2005, 09:35:21 am »
:D
Hi everyone.  I am new to this site.  My name is Wendy Theisen-Halsey and I have 4 OES. They are all nutty and amusing and keep my family and I laughing all the time.  That is even despite eating wallets, cell phones, the mouse off my computer and recently ...the drywall in my laundry room.  Despite that, I wouldn't have any other breed.  I have had OES since 1975.  Certainly welcome any questions about their antics!
Looking forward to hearing from you all out there!
Wendy

GR8DAME

Re:I own a Bernese...but thinking about a Sheepdog
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2005, 12:25:17 pm »
I don't have an OES, but I have a doberman, great dane and dane\wolfhound cross. I just wondered if anyone asked any of these rescue workers what OES owners are supposed to do if they, in the normal corse of their lives, happen to get pregnant? Do they advise that you put the dog in the rescue system? Put it to sleep? Or perhaps they require all owners to be childless for the rest of the dogs natural life? Sorry, but steriotyping stupidity really ticks me off. Stella

Oh WOW me too! My family and I really wanted an OES we own a great Pyr and are familar with giant breeds and NO ONE would sell to us or let us rescue because we have a 2yr old daughter!  I actually had one rescue say to me "If you value your daughter's life"  I wanted to slap her OF COURSE I value my daughters life! What a horrible thing to say!  >:(  Then I was watching Westminster and as the OES segment was on the announcer comments how wonderful they are with children!  I fell off the couch! I thought it was just me and maybe OES people just didn't like Pyr people or something weird like that or the Westminster Host had NO CLUE what he was talking about!

Jen

quote author=britt_cllns link=topic=139.msg788#msg788 date=1111632180]
 Dianne McKee Rowland- I have a question for you...  I grew up with many sheepdogs and we loved them.  My husband and I thought of getting one and I went to shows, talked to breeders, gained info, read, etc...plus I grew up with them and thought that I knew a lot.  I could not find a single breeder that would sell me one, nor would RESCUE work with me.  They all said the same thing that my kids need to be over 10 and that the breed has changed since the 70's when I was growing up with them.  (My kids are young 3 and 17 months...howev er, they are very good and we would NEVER put up with hair pulling, eye poking behavior towards the dogs...maybe they thought I would, and that was why they wouldn't sell to me.  They all said that they have had too many instances of them nipping kids to correct, as they are herders, etc.  What is your opinion on this?  I would love to kow as you are a breeder and have much experience with the breed.

At anyrate, we have 2 shih tzus and a Bernese Mountain Dog that are royalty and they are all GREAT with my kids and my kids are GREAT with them.  But, I still dream of an OES and am reminded of them when we visit my husband's frien who has 2 very cute and well behaved boys.
Thans, Britt Collins

Offline gumbo46

• Gnawer
  • Sheepdogs rule our roost.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/wigglebutts
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2005, 08:50:30 pm »
I just joined this site, and already ,seem to like it very much.We are owned, by 4 OES.There is no, other breed like it.We have had OES in our lives for the last 19 years.All of my children, have been raised with a sheepdog.Now my grandchildren, are being raised with them, as well.With any large breed dog or any dog for that matter, you have to supervise the children and puppy till they both know how to handle each other.Anyway, we just adore our sheepdogs and they are truly clowns in a furcoat.
  The George Family
The George's

Offline gumbo46

• Gnawer
  • Sheepdogs rule our roost.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/wigglebutts
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2005, 09:11:00 pm »
This is Spartacus and his funny brother,trying to imitate his favorite bud.Spartacus is from our Shaggy and Chloe.He is a doll and just the funniest and sweetest sheepdog.We are proud of each and every one of our babies.
The George's

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 09:23:42 am »
Also I Understande they don't Shed as other's large Breed, I was told but i use sup, help's a lot oil vit,s one thing that i found works great after shamping mouse,you put on rub,it in,get out the dandra,dust lift out the under coat that is what you what to Go!!!It is amaxing,and the coat will be so Nice Clean !Try it no sheding marylee!!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 09:35:11 am »
I love the pictures!!  I grew up with an OES (Expo) and I loved that dog so much!!  I cannot imagine why this would become a stereotype of this breed, there were 4 of us (kids) and Expo was never anything but gentle!  Please give us some more pictures of your furbabies! ;D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Bigdogtv

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:06 pm »
My Old English 'Alex' was 5 yrs old when my son was born. He let Ethan land on him when he started climbing out of his crib and my son learned to walk by holding on to Alex's fur. When Ethan was a toddler, Alex was a great outdoor babysitter-herding Ethan back to the center of the yard. So for me OE Sheepdogs are perfect for children!

Offline deebsdolan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 04:16:30 pm »
I'm not even sure how long ago this was posted, but we have a sheepdog, in Oshawa, Ontario.  His name is Duke and he is just over a year old  :D
It's my first, but my husband had one in Scotland when he was growing up.  Is this your only sheepdog or have you had others before?

Dina

Offline deebsdolan

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 04:33:23 pm »
Hi, I am a newbie, and the owner of an 8 year old
Old English Sheepdog.  Any others out there have a sheepie?
I think they're great big furballs, and have wonderful temperaments!

I thot I would post a couple of pics of my pup.... a couple of them are from when he was just a baby... from babe to shag, ha ha