Author Topic: big dog, with no courage  (Read 8414 times)

bigdogs@5501

Re: big dog, with no courage
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2006, 10:35:56 pm »
Patience is going to be a virtue- Annie is the Dane that we got out of the shelter. I am still having problems getting her to gain weight. Any loud noise and she still hits the floor and cowers. We have discovered that it was a darker skin man that had abused her because the last time that I took her to Petsmart, every time she saw a hispanic male she just went into panic mode. The trainer that I have worked with in the past also noticed the behavior. Annie has made incredible strides especially considering that my husband is hispanic and that my son really resembles him. One of the things that I started doing with Annie is just sitting with her for literally hours at a time- talking to her and rubbing her ears.
Annie will now sneak up to me and give me quick kisses. Also when anything frightens her- she runs to me to fix it. Leaving the house to go to the store or the vet is still hard for her. Also we have had a tough time putting weight on her- She is now being fed 3 times a day, and I will also cook rice and chicken for her. Her last visit to the vet was this week and she had a good check up.
So keep doing what you are doing- once the big guy realizes that you are not going to hurt him- he is going to be the most loyal dog ever.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 12:36:03 am »
leaps and bounds, leaps and bounds!  finally, we are seeing progress.  i'm not really sure what happened to do this, but he has gotten a lot more sure of things the past few days.  he doesn't jump out the truck and choke himself when i open the back of the explorer, anymore, and he is finally completely ok with dusting spray.  he still runs, but he goes to a corner and just lays down apposed to tearing everything up.  he seems a lot calmer, we tried the satin balls and he ate SO much better!  maybe he's calmer b/c he's actually full?  he's like a different dog the past few days.  he is starting to come up to me and my kids and nudge us for attention.  he sat in front of me last night for like 2 hours nudging me every time i stopped petting him.  things are definitely starting to look up!  also got some scented stuff which seems to help when i leave.  i can't hear him screaming at the street anymore!  he's also started doing a lot better on a leash, i can walk him to the truck with absolutely no problems, until i ask him to get in the truck.  he still doesn't like that part.  it's starting to work out though!  thanks for all your support!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 12:38:39 am »
That is wonderful news! i still would consider the dane lady on how to build him up food wise, and, i would not snub the nzymes products and, i also would get him on glucosamine chond and msm once he is settled in nicely.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 12:40:10 am »
i will definitely still contact her, i was wanting to wait until i have pics of him so she can see what his condition is.  where can i get glucosamine chond and msm?  is it a liquid or a pill?  thanks!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]