Author Topic: Long time no see!  (Read 4202 times)

Offline Miranda

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Long time no see!
« on: November 12, 2006, 11:19:35 pm »
Hi all, I know I haven't been on for a long time, but my computer has been acting a little crazy. Well, I have good news and bad news. If you don't remember, a couple months ago Laika was diagnosed with diskospondylit is (sp?). The good news is that Laika hasn't shown any signs of pain or discomfort for the last couple months. We took her to the vet last weekend for a routine checkup, just to make sure the antibiotics are doing their job. That's where the bad news comes in. In the x-ray, the area around her pelvic bone is very cloudy. He said that he expected the calcium build-up to go away since she'd been on antibiotics for two months, but it just hasn't. He said it's nothing to be REALLY worried about, since she isn't showing any signs of discomfort, but it could cause some problems down the road. His best guess is that we just got to it too late. In case you all forgot, I had taken Laika to three different vets since she was 2 months old, and none of them knew what was wrong with her, even though they took x-rays. Sooo since they didn't know what it was, and was actually making it worse by giving her two week's worth of antibiotics, her calcium build-up is irreversible now. Ugh. Also, something that really worries me but not so much the vet, is that 2 months ago when we first started seeing him, she weighed in at 95 pounds. This last weekend, she weighed 93. So instead of gaining weight during her growth spurt (she's now 11 months), she's lost 2 pounds. The vet said it's because her body was working so hard to fight the infection, but this is supposed to be her prime growth spurt, and she didn't do any growing! Should I be this worried? Ugh. Sorry everyone, just needed to vent a bit I guess!

Oh, yeah, and we have a new addition to our family! Meet Boris (he's on the desk).

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.  ~Phil Pastoret

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Long time no see!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 04:40:50 am »
Welcome back. Sorry to hear about the problems with Laika but it is nice to know she is not in any pain. Maybe, because she is getting taller, etc that she is not putting on weight now but will do so later on. You know, kinda like kids when they encounter a growth spurt.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Re: Long time no see!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 11:15:02 am »
I'm so sorry to hear about Laika , but I'm glad you're back ! I'd love love love to see more pictures of your pups , and the new kitty  too  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"