Author Topic: How cuddly are Great Danes? Do they like to sleep with you in bed?  (Read 19100 times)

Offline tanzy_m

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Puppies for Sale
Hi,

We were thinking of getting a Great Dane, but before we do, we were hoping to find out how much they love to cuddle?  I know, unusual question but my wife is looking for a dog that loves to cuddle; that wants to take naps with her / us and wants to sleep in our bed at night.  My wife's preference is that if the dog can choose one place to rest, sit or lie down it would be on top of her / as close as possible and always seeks you out.

We had a King Charles Spaniel(which sadly has recently passed) that was supposed to be 'cuddly' like she wanted, but sadly it was not.  When my wife would cuddle with it on the couch while watching tv, it would start panting very very loudly to let her know that it preferred to sleep elsewhere.  It would then happily trod off to the guest bedroom for a quiet undisturbed nap and not reappear til dinner :)

Anyways, we meaning she :) didn't want that same kind of personality, so we were just wondering how cuddly you think the Great Dane is, and whether they like to take naps and sleep in bed with you, and cuddle w/t you on the couch while watching the tube.

I posted this originally to the Newfoundland board, but after finding out that Newfoundlands aren't the most cuddly(they get too hot) and prefer to sleep at the foot of your bed rather than in it, her new favorite is now potentially Great Danes :)

Thanks for your help, Bob
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 08:27:17 pm by tanzy_m »

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: How cuddly are Great Danes? Do they like to sleep with you in bed?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:47:38 pm »
First, I would like to say that it is GREAT that you have come here looking for answers.  Bringing a new member into your family is not a decision that should be taken lightly.  Please take your time and do LOTS of research.

Here are some links:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
http://www.dogpage.us/choosing-a-dog.html
http://www.dogbreed.mypetdogs.com/

Once you find the breed you are interested in please do more research on responsible breeders and rescue.

As for Great Danes I can tell you they have earned the nickname “Velcro Dogs”.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 10:15:01 pm »
Our two Danes are THE cuddliest creatures I have ever known. But sometimes, it hurts! They are so big, and they want to be near me all the time, like in my lap, and my male Connor is bigger than me so when he is in my lap it is a big deal! I can't get up! Also in the bed he will try to lay on top of me and I cannot get up. And sometimes when he gets up he will clock me in the face with one of his limbs (or his head) and I have had my share of bruises. ::)
The Danes I have known have really loved affection. The one exception was a rescue Dane that I fostered, but he had a past history of being abused, so he hated to be hugged. But the two I have now are both rescues and don't have any issues from their previous homes, and they are happiest when they are being snuggled with. ;D

Here's a thought! :D If you go through a rescue agency and adopt a dog, you could be sure to find one who is cuddly. They would be able to help you find a dog who suits your needs. ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 10:39:08 pm by doghealer »

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 10:23:52 pm »
I have 2 danes. One male and one female. Moose my male will climb up in anyones lap the second someone sits down, he also likes to lay on top  of you if you lay on the couch. He stands on his hind legs and gives hugs. Brody my female came from an abusive home as a puppy, she will cuddle with me and only me. If i sit in my recliner chair she gets in it with me and cuddles up. She gets really excited if she sees me get a blanket out (which isn't too often in Arizona) She has to be touching me though. But would perfer noone else touch her. Although she does let my kids climb on her and cuddle her. So I have to admit that I have two of the biggest cuddle bugs.  ;D
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 10:50:04 pm »
Tonka would LOVE IT if I would let him sleep with me, right on top of me, in the bed.  Unfortunately, for him, 140 bs is a lot of dog and when he starts chasing cars in his sleep it rocks the bed like I just stuck a quarter in the machine at a no-tell-motel.  When I sit on the couch, he promptly plants himself right in my lap.  Wherever I am, he prefers to be as close as possible.  I have to carry around a jar of Vaseline to dislodge his head from my rear in the event of a sudden stop :D.

I agree with everyone else about looking into a rescue to find a dog with the personality traits you seek.  Good luck on finding your new family member!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:36 am »
Hahahahaha, are they cuddlers?  See pics.

Seriously, Jack adores my husband and is on top of him at all times.  I know he loves me but I am not his choice for a snuggle partner.  He prefers Daddy.

OMG!!!  That last picture is ABSOLUTELY a riot!!!  Funniest thing I've ever seen!  The look on both guys faces is priceless!!!

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 04:02:40 am »
Great Pic of Dad and Jack. Of the three GD's at the house now- it is the two boys who prefer to snuggle the most. I think that Annie will become a snuggler as soon as she gets over her anxiety issues.

Offline tanzy_m

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Puppies for Sale
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 06:10:54 am »
Everyone,

This has just been awesome stuff.  We very much appreciate the volume of responses(and welcome many more!), it has been very informative and helpful.

We haven't made a final decision yet as to breed, but we definitely like the idea of the rescue route first and having them 'fit' my wife's affectionate requirement :)  We really appreciate that suggestion; before this post we hadn't even considered that route.

Thanks again for everything; we definitely miss our little KC Spaniel, and are very much looking forward to welcoming a new member to our family who will again add that extra warmth to our home

Bob :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 09:16:04 am »
jack definitely doesn't look like the typical rescue, he looks like he shoulda been in shows, he's sooooooooo gorgeous!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 10:17:31 am »
One more weigh in on the Dane cuddling business.  Cosmo was rescued and actually came to me via BPO.  He is a bit of a cuddler.  In this picture he snuck on the couch and cuddled up to me.  My husband couldn't bare to make him get down.  Tehehehehe!!  Cosmo and I have finally won!!!!!

Best of luck on your search!

Krista
Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 11:44:58 am »
Willow is a so so cuddler.  She does sometimes and other times if you try to cuddle with her she lets out a sigh and moves.  But she always sleeps on a bed (either mine or my daughters)  and always sits on the couch.  In fact if you are sitting in her spot she just climbs on top of you.  I will admit to the bed shaking puppy dreams - that is totally true.  Willow is my 1st dane and I love them.  I will always have a dane - my favorite breed by far.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2006, 08:35:49 am »
Well, speaking for myself, Gunther is an extremely affectionate dane, but only to people he knows well.  Otherwise he is very shy to the point of being skittish.

He definitely likes to share the bed, he is not allowed on the furniture.  However, if all 4 dogs are on the bed, he is the one that gets kicked off, only b/c he is the biggest and Keiko now has arthritis so I let her stay unless she chooses to get off.  And if she does that, believe me Gunther makes his move immediately.  If he gets kicked off, he mopes and sulks for a bit before settling down on his own bed.

Offline 6doggydaddy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2006, 01:17:32 pm »
Our big guy takes over my spot when I leave for work.  Liz says she can't notice the difference between him and I LOL