Author Topic: Giant Schnauzer and owner new here!  (Read 18872 times)

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Schnauzer and owner new here!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 04:35:32 pm »
I meant to add that Giants LOVE to countersurf!  I dont think just simply keeping things off the counters is the best thing to do.  THis is a headstrong and dominant breed that must have training.  They totally CAN use their brains and be taught to respect boundaries.  Hugo could easily steal from the counter and tables but we taught him from day one NOT to stick his nose in place it didnt belong.  Teach them and EXPECT them to do what they are told.  Getting a good trainer is a wonderful idea.  They can help you with certain issues when problems arise.  When HUgo would stick his nose up the counter I would simply say in a loud sharp forceful tone "NO"!!  ANd I sounded like "the boss" so he respected that.  Dont let your giant get away with anything now that you dont want them to do when she is grown.  It is a matter or just teaching her manners daily.  You have to spend time and teach her.  THis breed has to be worked with or they can be destructive.  hope this helps
shellie~
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Icerotti

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 06:05:13 pm »
Welcome to BPO.  I just adore Giant Shnauzers. We had 2 minis growing up.  Izzy is beautiful. I can't wait to see more pictures ;)

Offline norasdad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 03:02:53 am »
Hi!

Almost all Giant Schnauzers are "Counter Cruisers." It upset us until we realized it was our problem! If food is out, Nora will take it! We (or at least I) look at it as Nora's way of reminding us to put food away. Anything edible goes in the refrigerator, in the oven, in the microwave, on top of the refrigerator, or in another, closed, room.

(She once took, and ate, an entire homemade cheesecake.)

They can also make themselves really sick, because they will eat anything.

You might also be interested in the Giant Schnauzer Cafe,  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GiantSchnauzerCafe/