Author Topic: For the raw feeders.. Moose?  (Read 2981 times)

Lyn

For the raw feeders.. Moose?
« on: December 14, 2006, 04:03:13 am »
Has anyone fed raw Moose? My neighbour.. (yeah the one I don't like.. haha) brought over a moose roast and there is noway in heck I'm eating it. LMAO

So I was thinking about giving it to Bubba and Lola for 'christmas dinner'. Ok or no?

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: For the raw feeders.. Moose?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 04:35:44 am »
our dogs have eaten buffalo before, with no ill effects.  they were farm raised though, so i'm not sure that tid bit helps!  my mom used to eat moose when she lived in montana, and she said she loved it when the guys went hunting because it's soooooooooooo good, apparently
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 04:36:42 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 04:35:46 am »
Hmmm, good point about the parasites. I have no idea if that's a problem here or not. It is frozen though.. that should kill any nasties right?

I have no idea how rich is it either. All I could find about it is that 'Moose meat is much like beef in texture but is leaner and contains less cholesterol' lol OH and 'Many people who find the taste of venison too wild love moose meat because it has a milder, more acceptable flavor.' Still doesn't tempt my taste buds at all. LOL

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2006, 07:56:21 am »
Just an idea but you could probably call your local fish and wildlife department or CDC or whatever the Canadian equivalents are and ask about any parasites or diseases that could be transmitted to Bubba and Lola.  I know CWD (Cervid Wasting Disease) is a big issue with deer and elk and they recently found it in moose in the states.  Not sure about Canada and also not sure if it will do anything if the body is consumed because it's an encephalitis disease. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 09:28:32 pm »
No problems with parasites/disease in the area that it was caught. I thought the neighbour had dressed it himself but he didn't this time. He took it to a butcher, So if anything nasty had been found in it I imagine he would have said something to my neighbour. The section he gave me said hind leg (gag..haha).

So I decided to try feeding it this morning.. Let me tell you preping it was nasty. I'm not squeemish when it comes to raw meat but this was just nasty.. it was super bloody and by the time I was finished cutting it up the counter top looked like I had slaughtered it myself. LOL Other than the mess it was nice and lean.. but did have a slight gamey smell.

Lola went to town, she loved it. She dove in her bowl without a second thought. Bubba on the other hand refused to eat it.  He picked up one piece at a time and spit it out on the floor. He looked at me as if to say 'What the heck are you trying to feed me?!' hahaha Apparently he doesn't like the gamey taste either..  So he ended up with kibble, which he happily ate. There is still a bunch left so as long as Lola doesn't get an upset tummy she can have the rest.