Author Topic: my mom's vet says WHAT?!  (Read 5570 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
my mom's vet says WHAT?!
« on: December 15, 2006, 01:13:02 am »
ok, so my mom has two tiny paws (one chihuahua that weighs less than 3lbs, and one that is around 10-12)  neither are overweight, in fact, the smallest has a high tendency to get skinny.  the oldest is 10 years old this past november, the youngest is like 6 or 7.  my mom only feeds them once a day, which i notice doesn't do good for the smallest, because he uses up so much energy and then just sleeps alllllllllllll lll day.  when i'm there i feed them twice a day, and they do awesome.  the question i have is, my mom's vet tells her they're too heavy, and that she only needs to feed them enough to make them not "feel" hungry, but they should still be asking her for more food.  i don't understand this!  he's also the reason they get fed once a day.  right now the smallest gets 1/4 of one of those square "canned" dog foods, and the biggest gets one.  what's everyone's opinion on this??  i know tiny paws don't eat as much as my big paws, but this just seems like it isn't enough, they both beg me the entire time i eat, whenever i eat.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: my mom's vet says WHAT?!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 01:17:08 am »
Wow, that seems strange for toy breeds.  I've always heard that they should be fed more often as their blood sugar can get low.  I have a 3.5 Papillon, Chicklet, nicknamed "the pig" b/c she is always eating.  She burns more energy than the bigger dogs as she is very busy-always getting up, running around, etc.  We free feed dry food with table scraps and have never had a problem w/weight in any of the animals.  Just in my opinion, I think all dogs need to be fed at least twice a day.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 01:26:32 am »
that's what i've always heard and believed, but she won't believe ME because the vet's opinion.  i really don't like him to start with, i brought them to get their nails done the first time, and they had 3 people to do it, and asked me NOT to help.  one to hold the smallest dog's body, one for his head, and one to do his nails.  i just put him on a bar stool and he sits there (ok so maybe he's just scared he'll fall and doesn't move but still it's a lot better i think).  poor rebel was squeeling when they did it, after that i just did it until i found a great grooming shop who does a great job.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 01:26:34 am »
Hmmm, can you feel their last rib and does their body have the "hourglass" shape?  I had a tinypaw and he was perfect weight, I could feel his last rib.  I fed him twice a day he was 7 lbs and I gave him a total of 2/3c of food a day.  He always begged for food and always acted hungry, but he was very neurotic (had a temperment problem) and the begging was really bad. I just went by the bag recommendation on how much to feed him.   

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 01:27:52 am »
I had a little 2 pounder Chihuahua, I had to free feed him cause he had real bad problems with his blood sugar. I just got this itty bitty dog bowl dish and filled it up and kept it in his crate. He could go eat whenever he wanted. To me, it doesnt sound like the littlest dog is getting enough food. I know he is small but my chi was also very small and he ate more then that and was far from being too heavy. Maybe mom should get a second opinion

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 01:27:55 am »
on the smallest you can see the last rib, and a little of the rest of them, he has a greyhound look to him.  the larger of the two, you can see his last rib, and he has the hour glass figure.  not the greyhoundish look like the smaller
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 01:37:18 am »
My mom has a tiny Chi and she is free feed as well, I think a min of two meals a day for a wee one
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 01:44:49 am »
yes, she feeds the little caesar meals, she says they won't eat dry food.  they've ate them since they were born.  they eat our dry food though, which is what i don't understand!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
I don't have small ones anymore but I would definitely free feed them.  My small dogs have always been Boston Terriers and I always free fed and never had weight problems.  Maybe try taking them to your vet for a second opinion.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 02:31:47 am »
You know, this reminds me of when I had my first child, the pediatrician informed me that I needed to put her on a feeding schedule. So basically you feed the child according to the clock- not  based on the childs needs. I think that this would be a great concept if all children were alike. My child cried all of the time- she was hungry, once we tossed the schedule in the trash and fed her when she was hungry, we had a much happier child. And she thrived and she is a happy healthy adult.
So unless the dog is a gorger or is so fat that their health is at risk, why wouldnt you feed them when they are hungry?
I hope that your mom will consider just trying to feeding the pups more or maybe even considering talking to another vet.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 04:57:27 am »
I go to the vet just to argue! Most of the vets know nothing about nutrition. I would not listen to their advise. What is good for one dog is not good for the other. I think that those little paws need to be free fed. Most of the dogs don't really over eat. Treats what make them fat! My pup doesn't get any treats and eat as much as she wants. She is in great shape!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2006, 06:41:13 am »
thanks for all the advice, everybody!!  i think i'm gonna continue my "debate" with my mom then, atleast for rebel's side!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)