Author Topic: Yogurt- what the heck is going on???  (Read 4867 times)

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Yogurt- what the heck is going on???
« on: December 18, 2006, 11:29:31 pm »
I have just recently added some plain nonfat yogurt to Bella's diet in an effort to supply her with some probiotics becuase the food I have her on (Kirkland Lamb/Rice) doesn't have any.  She's been on the food for weeks and has done well, but as soon as I added the yogurt, her BM's started loosening.  They are now very loose.  I give her 2-3 spoonfuls at only one of her meals.  Am I giving her too much?  Is this a common adjustment phase that will improve? I am trying to decide if I should stop altogether.  Just wondering about others' experiences with adding yogurt to the diet. 

THanks!
angeleen
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Anakalia

Re: Yogurt- what the heck is going on???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 11:39:40 pm »
This is a really good question.  I used to give Koby yogurt, thinking it was good for him but he'd always get booty blowout!  There's not many things he can eat, but I always thought yogurt was good for their digestive system.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:43:27 pm »
I know! I thought the same thing! ??? 
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 05:22:26 am »
Julie is right. MANY dogs are lactose intolerant. She just might not be able to digest it. You can buy probiotic powder and sprinkle it on her food. Its non-dairy and won't cause the same tummy upset. You might want to try that.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 05:41:52 am »
We had similar issues with the fat free yogurt, but they can tolerate non fat.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:01:58 am »
I think I will try something else. I was kind hoping  that maybe it was an adjustment period, and that I would see improvement, but I haven't.  Thanks for all the feedback...  :)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline cosmosmama

• Big Paw Certified
  • Handsome Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:38:08 am »
I am right in line on that.  Non-fat foods often have "other" things that aren't good for the body, like diet soda, etc. 

We are pretty much a dairy free family.  It thickens all mucus, it's hard to digest and so on.  I have found that my whole family does best without dairy even though the live cultures in yogurt maintain benefits.  Are you feeding nonfat yogurt?  Maybe try the regular kind first and if it's the same go to a supplement.

Krista, Cosmo (Goofus), Sadie (THE BOSS) and Sammie (Sweet Boy)
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
                                                Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:25 am »
That's a good point. I hadn't thought about that. We're dairy free here too. We're a Soy family. I have stopped the yogurt for now and I'll let her get back to normal before I make any decisions about trying a different yogurt or just going with a supplement.  She had Giardia when I got her from the Breeder, so to me it seems hugely important that I make sure she gets a steady dose of good bacteria to help fight the bad... should it ever rear it's ugly head again.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 10:39:31 pm »
Well that would explain Koby's problem then, his digestive system doesn't get along with tons of other things, we'll just had to add lactose intolerance to that list too! 

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 07:02:21 am »
yogart makes Lady and Grace soft and shiney!  i add 2 tblsp. to their dinner and they love it. 

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:15:31 pm »
you can buy acidopholis (sp? i know i'm butchering the spelling) tablets from your local gnc.....all milk products are especially hard to digest....so not all dogs can handle them....for instance....i have an EXTREMELY sensitive stomach....if i drink milk i'll be next to the pot for the next 3 days......some dogs do fine with yogurt but some don't....so if you're getting loose stool just get the tabs and open them up and pour the stuff on your dog's food.  my cat loves the stuff!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 11:16:43 pm by rayray »
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox