Author Topic: Suggestions for a new vehicle!  (Read 13906 times)

Offline galxe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for a new vehicle!
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 05:25:04 am »
Well, we are currently big-paw less, but we drive a Nissan Pathfinder and love it. Izzy was also a big fan. The backseat was plenty big enough for his furry lumpy self, though his favorite spot was to lay in between the back and front seats on the floor.  ::) Go figure.
But, the quick run down: Good gas mileage for an SUV (18MPG average, and I drive crazy mountain roads), very comfortable drive with lots of pep and very responsive steering. No mechanical problems thus far (we've only had it a year and it has 80k on it, bought used for a great price), attractive car, eays to maneuver as it's small outside but big inside, lots of storage in back, front, etc. Lots of leg room, and head room, seats 5 adults comfortably, carseats are easy to get into and out of (I don't need them, but I had to do it once) upholstery is low maintenance, great AC and heating, good sound system. And, not that most people would need this as a consideration, but if you are driving in snow this car ROCKS. I drove in snow up to the grill almost everyday for two months and only got stuck once.

Now for the doggy bits: The backseat can be a little difficult to maneuver into, but Iz got great at putting a paw onto to stepbar and hoisting himself in. Getting into the back hatch was very easy. COuld have easily fit two newfs in the back, but one was very comfy on the backseat. Cleaning inside was simple, and we kept an office mat (you know the plastic thing under office chairs to protect carpet) on the floor of the back trunk space for when he got messy/wet, etc.

Overall, I can't see myself driving anything else anymore. I'm in love.

marypyrs

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 05:46:03 am »
I LOVE my Jeep. It's been fantastic! But = as my Pup is Growing, and Growing, AND GROWING. Well, it's just not fitting these two Pyrs anymore. Rain is a really big girl. And Whisper will be even bigger when fully grown. I need a van! But these roads are rough in the winter times and my lane is like a river bottom so that's not going to get me up and down. They're too low to the ground.

Can't immagine myself ever getting rid of "Blue" (my faithful Jeep) but I'm going to have to find another vehicle for taking the Fur Kids out & about for Therapy Visits. I'll be checking out the dogcars.com this evening. You should have seen them sqeezed in together yesterday when we went for an outing! And that was with the back seat layed down! (& two wet Pyrs after a run on the Lake Shore.) LOL!

Gas up here is up to $3.49 pr gal. That's another 'thing'.   :'(  Although I try to be as conservative as possible.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 08:21:25 am »
Fido Friendly Magazine has a section where they talk about vehicles that are great for dogs.  One of the cars looked at was the Dodge Nitro.  I got to ride in one a couple of weeks ago and it was nice.  Lots of room inside for Big Paws.  I liked it.  Not sure on it's gas mileage though.   
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2007, 09:26:34 am »
We drive a Dodge 15 passenger van, I think that it's a 2002.  It came with 4 rows of seats, but we've taken out and stored the rear 2 seats.  That leaves plenty of room for 5 humans, 3 dogs and all of the additional stuff that comes with everyone.  It's has a 1 ton capacity and tows an 8,000 lb travel trailer just fine.  Freeway milage is around 15-17 mpg (but only about 6-8 mpg when towing...cough, choke!).  Overall, it works really well for us.  We considered a Suburban, but it didn't have the towing capacity that we needed.  We also considered a 4 door truck, but we wanted the A/C to reach the back for the dogs while we traveled, so we ended up with the behemouth van.   ::)  ;D  We'd like a smaller vehicle also for short trips around town.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees