Author Topic: pitbulls banned from flying on us airlines now.  (Read 12021 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
pitbulls banned from flying on us airlines now.
« on: January 05, 2007, 03:50:13 pm »
The American Airlines Pit BullIs this a safety feature now, or just more breed discrimination?

On July 22nd, 2002, pilots of an American Airlines Boeing 757, Flight 282 , en route to New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, heard strange, thumping noises coming from the cargo hold of the plane.

Upon their descent, the pilot's also discovered that various navigational equipment, and their back-up radio had ceased to function. Thankfully nothing vital to the plane's performance, but perplexing, all the same.

The mystery was solved, however, when the cargo hold was opened after landing, and shocked airline personnel were treated to the sight of a 65-pound American Pit Bull Terrier running loose in the hold. The dog had broken free of it's kennel, and in the course of the flight from San Diego to New York City, had chewed through a fiberglass bulkhead, and into part of the plane's wiring system.

While the plane's performance was not compromised in flight, the damage was severe enough to keep the jet grounded for nine days of repair. Though it did live to fly again, airline representative s state that on a different flight, a different type of plane, the damage may very well have been fatal.

American Airline's reaction to this seems rather extreme though. Issuing a nearly complete ban on the so-called "aggressive breeds", the airline company state that they will prohibit all pit bull types, Rottweilers and Doberman Pinschers over the age of 12 weeks, and any other dog that exhibits aggressive behavior from flying.

The American Kennel Club is up in arms, as well as literally thousands, if not millions of dog owners in North America. Calling American Airline's reaction extreme and an over-reaction, AKC is now urging dog owners everywhere to email their opposing comments to the president of American Airlines in the hopes of stemming this wave of "breed paranoia".

Once again, we see a case of "one dog = the banning of thousands". This single incident, a most-likely once-in-a-lifetime occurrence, and suddenly shipping a dog across country becomes nearly impossible.

I urge you to participate in the two polls along the right side of this article. Who knows? Maybe if we create a strong, united voice, we can overturn this decision. After all, it has happened before. I'm sure you all can guess what my own vote is.

http://dogs.about.com/cs/generalcare/l/blairline_apbt.htm
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 03:50:39 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: pitbulls banned from flying on us airlines now.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 04:06:52 pm »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOO O to American Airlines!!!!  Man my boycott list is getting too big. 
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:09:27 pm »
you know if it was a chihuahua (no offense to any chihuahua owners meant) it would be funny as h*ll.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 04:13:43 pm »
i agree!  cargo area is no place for animals to start with!  maybe they should consider making a fenced off "kennel" area.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 05:01:41 pm »
I just read all the teeny tiny print on AA's pet shipping page.  The only restriction by breed is no short nosed dogs will be transported when it is hot.

They can restrict passage to any dog that appears aggressive.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 05:20:25 pm »
i didn't look at the date on the article, so i don't know how old it is.  the breed restrictions that are going on lately (at pet parks, doggy daycares, etc) are getting out of hand lately though, IMO, it should be done on a dog by dog basis.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:59:13 pm »
I agree about the dog by dog basis,but then you get  a stupid person making that decision,and as we all know *you can't fix stupid*

It sounds to me like it was totally the cargo person's fault,or whatever crate was used.It is the crate that should be banned not the dog.
The poor dog must have been terrified out of his mind.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 06:03:18 pm »
you have to admit though, it is kinda funny ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 02:34:51 pm »
Maybe it was one of those crates that bolts the top half and the bottom half.  When I get that type of crate, we (hubby) JB weld the bolts together. 

Anyone else had a crate like that disintegrate in transit?  We got lucky and it was a small dog inside a car.
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 03:23:19 pm »
are you talking about the ones that are plastic, and have a top half and a bottom half?  if you are, we had one for axle when he was about 6 months old, and first he jumped up enough to knock the bolts loose when we were gone, then he managed to get his mouth between the "air slots" in the side and ate through the side of it.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline KJUNMAMI

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • My Justice baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 05:15:02 am »
i didn't look at the date on the article, so i don't know how old it is.  the breed restrictions that are going on lately (at pet parks, doggy daycares, etc) are getting out of hand lately though, IMO, it should be done on a dog by dog basis.

AMEN!!!
Mommy to
one baby girl 1 yr and one boy 3 yrs
pitbull Justice-70 lbs. @ 10 mos.
2 kitties Thelma and Louise 1 year.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 10:43:11 pm »
This was most probably a case of boredom, stress and fear. It really could have been just about any dog! I know my old White  GSD could get out of any cage we put him in. We never fully figured it out either. And banning any dog that appears aggressive? Well you could have one person that hates dog just start banning any dog coming through while they are on duty because ANY dog can Appear aggressive!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08