Author Topic: Petaprin - for 6 month old Puppy?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline mindex

• Gnawer
  • Samantha
    • View Profile
Petaprin - for 6 month old Puppy?
« on: January 10, 2007, 01:11:36 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Petaprin.  The website makes it sound like a miracle cure.  I have heard that Rimadyl is not a good medication for any dog's liver but especially a young one.  My pup has "moderately" bad hips and also a torn cruxiate ligament on her left leg. We are not sure how it happened.  The vet said that surgery was not an option because she was too young but Rimadyl does not seem to be a good management medication.  Any help, advice would be greatly appreciated.  She currently takes a supplement of glucosamine/chondrotin everyday.  And is only leash walked outside.  Not much fun for a 6 month old yellow lab. 

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Petaprin - for 6 month old Puppy?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 02:42:13 pm »
I wish I knew.  Sorry to hear about your puppy not feeling well and you have certainly come to the right place to find out about that drug.  Good luck and I hope your puppy feels better and fast.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Petaprin - for 6 month old Puppy?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 10:49:53 pm »

Petaprin is a natural remedy containing several herbs such as willowbark.  There are many on the market like this, and these herbs are often quite helpful with joint pain and inflammation.  I do not have any specific experience with Petaprin however.

I am a BIG believer in providing glucosamine to all large breed dogs along with a joint lubricant of some kind - such as Celadrin or hyaluronic acid. 

Your situation is severe however since in addition to dysplastic hips you have an acute ligament tear.  Your dog will likely need something stronger than this and if so, you may want to consider the drug Tramadol.  This is the only drug I would consider and agree with you that avoiding Rimadyl as well as Deramaxx is key.

The fact that your dog tore a cruciate so young reveals a lot about his overall structure.  He will likely tear the other one then too.  So please be prepared for a long road of orthopedic trouble. 

I do not understand why you cannot have this surigically addressed.  It is clear that you cannot do a TPLO - a highly questionable procedure to begin with because it is so invasive and since your dog is still growing - out of the question.  But there is also extracapsular surgery which doesn't impact the bone.  This is not a long term solution but essnentially they place a rubber band around it for support and tension.  In time, the rubber band stretches and no longer supports but if properly rested and healed, then scar tissue develops and takes the place of the band.  If scar tissue successfully develops, it is a "success"...if not, it is deemed a failure.

There is also prolotherapy which is non-invasive.  It is painful but the inflammation is what causes scar tissue to develop.  This is very desirable and needed since this is what provides the support and stability to the joint.  The sooner you get scar tissue there, the better.

Last, I have seen good results with homeopathy for ligament tears...someth ing to consider.
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar