Author Topic: What the?? Neurosurgeon INDUCES anerysm in dog to sell med. device  (Read 2655 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
This is nothing less than a crying shame. What is wrong with people?? Thank goodness the clinic recognized the atrocity of this situation. Let's hope they take drastic action against this individual.

Jeanne

CLEVELAND - A neurosurgeon used a dog with an induced brain aneurysm to demonstrate a medical device to salespeople, a hospital said Thursday.

The dog was anesthetized during the demonstration and euthanized afterward, according to a statement released by the Cleveland Clinic, a renowned academic medical center.

The hospital uses animals for medical research but this demonstration was unauthorized, a hospital statement said. The clinic has reported the incident to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which regulates animal testing.

"As an academic medical center, Cleveland Clinic does not allow procedures with animals for the sole purpose of sales training," the statement said

The surgeon, who was not immediately identified, was presenting a device used to treat aneurysms Wednesday to a group of people who sell it, the statement read.

It was not clear Thursday whether the aneurysm was induced in the dog solely for the sales demonstration. An aneurysm is when arteries or blood vessels bulge and eventually burst, which can cause severe damage or death.

Messages left with the USDA late Thursday were not immediately returned.

The clinic said the surgeon did not have permission from the hospital's Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee to host the demonstration. The doctor submitted an application to the committee, but its members never reviewed it, the hospital said.

An internal investigation was under way and the clinic plans to provide training for doctors to prevent a similar incident in the future, the hospital's statement said.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline mynameislola

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: What the?? Neurosurgeon INDUCES anerysm in dog to sell med. device
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 08:00:42 am »
Here is a more complete version of the story. Poor dog.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070113/ap_on_he_me/dog_aneurysm
The canine kids:
     Cody Newfoundland
     Wally Italian Mastiff
     Zita Italian Mastiff
     Sparky Chihuahua

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 01:53:46 pm »
OH MY, that's horrific!!  Poor dog!  :'(

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 02:10:07 pm »
how horrible  :'(  i knew a woman who had aneurysms and it was so sad, it made me want to cry every time i saw her.  after two i think it was, she couldn't remember hardly anyone, and had horrible headaches.  i feel so bad for that poor dog.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]