Author Topic: Treats and Toys  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Treats and Toys
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:56:57 pm »
Butt(3 1/2 yr Saint)really isn't into either,I would give him a 6" rawhide bone and it might last him 5 mths.I bought oodles of toys when he came home and they just sat here.For treats I give him Canidae(sp) snap biscuits for over weight dogs.He isn't over weight,but out of the dozens of bags I have bought,those are the only ones he likes.That has all changed now that Tub( 11 wk Saint)is home.Now they both want to chew on the raw hide all evening while we watch tv.Butt still doesn't like toys,but Tub thinks everything  that isn't nailed down is a toy. So now I need to add more toys for Tub to save the house and try to distract him from humping Butt all the time ;D.I would like an alternative to rawhide too.I have tried the Nylabone and the largest one I bought only lasted Butt about 15 mins.I also need to get some training treats to use with Tub.So to make a long story short ;) What are your BP's favorite toys and treats??Thanks again.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Treats and Toys
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
Have you tried treat dispensing toys???  Buddy Busters, Buster Cube, Kongs, balls, etc.  Frozen bones?  What about salmon treats, maybe lamb lung?  Evo treats?  Anything peanut butter?  Liver treats?  Cirra's favorite treat changes all the time.  Chicken, turkey, roast beef are usually attractive to her. 

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 08:31:05 pm »
Zoey's not really into toys lately either, but she loves merrick beef hides and her very favorite are dried rabbit ears.

For treats, I highly recommend bil-jack liver treats. Zoey LOVES them! They are a bit big for puppy training so you can cut them up for now (puppies take forever to chew them).
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 08:43:35 pm »
i love chew toys that last 5 months.  :)  we use nyla bones.  of course we are rott oriented...rot ts being major chewers. 
they love rope bones and tires and goofy kongs.  Grace will try for hours to get the stuffing out of kongs ... so long that it's soiled with spit and dripping and you can hear her little tongue smacking inside the kong.  it's really quiet disgusting but it keeps her busy.

Offline annaaul

• Gnawer
  • Mason and Daisy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 10:26:35 pm »
How Funny,  a soda bottle is Masons' favorit e too!!!  We just got a kong, I put pb in it but he really isn't interested.  Maybe because it was reduced fat. haha

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 12:44:14 pm »
It might sound sad but our favorite toys are: 1. Wood sticks (which we proudly carry in every time we come from a walk, lol) 2. Empty soda bottles 3. Paper cases from beer, which we love brake in tiny little bits.
Our favorite treats are raw bones and baked beef liver, yaaamy!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 04:17:00 pm »
Yes the "toys" they find for themselves are always the most prized. Phelan LOVES water bottles too, and shredding paper? HEAVEN-although not always desirable

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 04:39:36 pm »
Thanks everyone.I went shopping and got Tub a ton of toys,his favorite is a Wiggly Giggly ball.Good thing the birds have me acustom to alot of noise :D I bought a bag of Mother Hubbard little bits treats,and so far they both like them.I was impressed that Butt liked them,but I think it was more of a if Tub gets them so do I.I also bought some Bully Sticks,the boys love them.Boy was I shocked :o though when I found out what they were,they are so lucky I love them ;) I'll have to try the empty bottle for a toy,I know my birds love them.That means I have to drink 24 bottles of pop a day so everyone can get one ;D

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 12:39:01 am »
The lady at petco introduced me to the bully stick, she told me what it was right away, its not going in my mouth so... I took it home and was putting it in with the other treats when my boyfriend took it and put it in his mouth, I've never laughed so hard, so of course I told him what it was. LMAO thinking about it.

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:02:12 am »
The lady at petco introduced me to the bully stick, she told me what it was right away, its not going in my mouth so... I took it home and was putting it in with the other treats when my boyfriend took it and put it in his mouth, I've never laughed so hard, so of course I told him what it was. LMAO thinking about it.

Oh my gosh that is too funny ;D  I bet you still raz him on that one. I researched what they were before I went to no in mouth mistakes on my part!!

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 02:32:27 am »
Oh yeah, I told everyone we know.

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 07:51:21 am »
Hhahahaha! My hubby didn' know what they were made of either until I told him. We always have a bully stick in the truck for Lola to chew on. It worked to get her over her fear of the truck. She goes loopy now as soon as my hubby grabs the keys because she knows she's going to get her bully stick. :D

I was standing in line at the pet store this guy in front of me was asking what they were made of. When the owner told him he litterally threw it across the room. hahaahahaha

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 08:18:24 am »
Nope I can't do it - I'm sure Harley would love a bully stick but I could just see my husband and teenage sons face everytime they walk by they would make that face and cover their privates.

Hubby is still apologizing to Harley for having his private parts cut off.