Author Topic: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER  (Read 59841 times)

Offline chrisnickle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER
« on: July 06, 2005, 01:42:16 am »

Aloha,

My girlfriend and I are finally ready to have an addition to our family of three. (Also have a Black Lab).  We Live in Vancouver, BC right now but in 3 weeks time we are moving back to Burlington, Ontario.  I have been doing as much research as possible on the internet and I believe we have decided on an American Mastiff (Apricot if thats right)  We have heard nothing but good things about the mastiff breed especially the OEM and the AM also the attempt at the Maso but the AM just fits more into our taste.  We are still unsure whether to get a female or a male. So any tips would be greatly appreciated!  Now it looks as though the Flying W Farms in Ohio seems to be the only breeder that pops up anywhere or maybe the only breeder that is credible.  Does anyone have any information on that breeder or do you know of any breeders in Ontario Canada.
Any Information would be appreciated as we are trying to educate ourselves in every aspect of being an Mastiff owner.
I believe if it works the attached picture is of our Beautiful Boy TAJ, he is 18 months old now and still growing, but we think he will top out at 80 lbs.  He is in dire needs of a little brother or sister!

Mahalo,

Chris Nickle

chris_nickle@hotmail.com

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: HUNTING FOR AMERICAN MASTIFF BREEDER
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 06:00:47 am »
If you are going to be living in Ontario, you want to be very careful what sort of dog you select.

An all encompassing "pit bull" ban is going into effect there this fall, and this law can apply to any short haired muscular breed of dog.

Here is where to start in looking for an "American Mastiff" if that's what you really want.

http://www.american-mastiff.com/Index.htm

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:43:49 pm by jabear »
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 06:04:00 am »
I compliment your choice in dog, Chris, and I suspect that you'll be very happy!  We adopted an AM as well (male brindle) and have been absolutely thrilled with the new addition to our family!  We've never had a dog that was easier to train or was housebroken faster than our AM Leon!

For breeders, several of them post on a Yahoo message board; just join it, ask as many questions as you like, and see if they can help you out:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanMastiffs/messages

Good luck!

Offline Proliant

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:05:52 am »
Hi .... I have an American Mastiff names Goliath and we are totaly happy with him. He is now 9 months old and 140 lbs. We got him from FlyingWFarms but there are several good breeders. Here are a few to get you started.

http://www.mysticamericanmastiff.com/
http://www.flyingwfarms.com/
http://www.orionmastiff.com/
http://www.deepwoodmastiffs.com/

Also we have a discussion board at Yahoo tht a number of breeders are active at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AmericanMastiffs/ you are welcome to join and ask all the questions you want. I have had great luck there.

Matthew, Dylan and Goliath

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
  • Me and my favorite girl, Meme (I'll always love u)
    • View Profile
    • Mastiff Club of America
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 01:03:16 pm »
When you say 'American' Mastiff, are you labeling it so because it's bred here in the US or because you are looking to purchase the Anatolian Shepherd/English Mastiff cross?   

If you are considering the AM (Anatolian Shepherd/English Mastiff), you might want to research a little harder.  This breed, not even AKC recognized yet, is in it's infancy. 

Please consider this, the Anatolian Shepherd is bred for it's aggressive nature.  They are popular police dogs, very popular guard dogs.  They are also popular herd dogs ( could be wrong about that last point, but I remember reading it somewhere).  If you are interested in reading more about the AM (AS/EM mix) check out the following board and do a search: www DOT mastiffWEB DOT com

Good Luck with what ever direction you take.  THERE IS NOTHING BETTER THAN A TRUE OLD ENGLISH MASTIFF!!!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:46:11 pm by jabear »
Kerri, mom to Kacie and Atlas.  And missing deeply my baby girls, Storm and Meme.

Are you the type of person your dog thinks you are?

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 01:12:54 pm »
Ok stupid question...... . What's the difference between an American Mastiff and an English Mastiff?  I've been researching the Mastiff breed, because I LOVE their looks temperment, the whole package.  I've never heard of an American Mastiff before.  Are they a new breed?  Whenever I do a search for Mastiffs I come up with only the English Mastiffs..... can anyone help answer the stupid question of the day? lol

Big thanks in advance!

Chris I wish you best of luck in your search!  I wish I could be of more help.  Ask a Great Dane question and I'd probably know, but I'm a little new to the Mastiff breed. lol

Andi

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 01:17:41 pm »
Your American Mastiff is a mix of Anatolian Shepherd and English Mastiff, an unregistered bred in it's infancy of development.   www DOT mastiffWEB DOT com will give you a wealth of information on both breeds.  Just do a general search.   

The English Mastiff, or Old English Mastiff is the correct and true form of the Mastiff.  From there, you have your BullMastiff, Boerboel (African Mastiff), Cane Corse and Neapolitan (both Italian Mastiffs), Tibetan Mastiff, and the list goes on. 

Should you have any other questions, check out www DOT mastiff DOT org, the National Mastiff Club of America.  It will give you a ton of information. 

Sorry, if my views aren't appreciated.  I was just asking if these AM's were true American Mastiffs (mixes) or English Mastiffs bred right here in the US.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 04:49:36 pm by jabear »
Kerri, mom to Kacie and Atlas.  And missing deeply my baby girls, Storm and Meme.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 01:26:02 pm »
I didn't know all that..Ty for the info.! :) & facts are always welcomed here at B.P.'s as are suggestions or questions...Th is is a friendly site & all "views" :) are welcomed here so long as stated & debated in a mature fashion!...P.S., I love your dog! ;D

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 01:27:21 pm »
Hi .... I have an American Mastiff names Goliath and we are totaly happy with him. He is now 9 months old and 140 lbs. We got him from FlyingWFarms but there are several good breeders. Here are a few to get you started.

Also we have a discussion board at Yahoo tht a number of breeders are active at *removed linked* you are welcome to join and ask all the questions you want. I have had great luck there.

Matthew, Dylan and Goliath

I couldn't be happier that your boy Goliath has turned out happy and a wonderful family pet.  But please ask that folks Research the breed first and foremost before giving props to your breeder.  Give them ALL the information they need to make their own decisions.  That means, that the AM is a mix and unregisterable .   That it DOES Drool the same way an English Mastiff does. 

Also, give them links to not only your AM breeder but to Infodog DOT com (a site to locate local Confirmation shows to view these dogs up close) and Mastiff Club of America, www DOT mastiff DOT org. 

Let folks know their IS a HUGE difference between an American Mastiff (Anatolian Shepherd/English Mastiff mix) and the true form, English Mastiff. 

Loving your breed is about giving out ALL the information.  Allowing folks to decide for them selves.  It's wonderful you love your boy, and it's obvious.  AWESOME, but in recent years, there have been temperament issues with the AM. 

Good and Goliath is a beautiful brindle boy.  Partial to brindles myself..  ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:37:14 pm by KBMastiffs »

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 01:28:56 pm »
Peace KBMasiffs, peace. Your last response was rather smug and we like to keep the conversation amnicable here.

More than likely Andi's post was being typed at the same time as yours, so it was posted immediately after, without Andi having the benefit of reading your first reponse. Happens quite frequently in the forum-setting.

A lot of us have mutts here, there's nothing wrong with them.

Chris Nickel, I wish you luck in the search for your new dreampuppy. A new addition to the family is always a delight. Kudos to you as well for doing your research.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 01:36:29 pm »
Peace KBMasiffs, peace. Your last response was rather smug and we like to keep the conversation amnicable here.

More than likely Andi's post was being typed at the same time as yours, so it was posted immediately after, without Andi having the benefit of reading your first reponse. Happens quite frequently in the forum-setting.

A lot of us have mutts here, there's nothing wrong with them.

Chris Nickel, I wish you luck in the search for your new dreampuppy. A new addition to the family is always a delight. Kudos to you as well for doing your research.

:-[ My sincerest apologies.  It was that Andi was typing at the same time I was correcting my response.  I didn't re-read before posting and it wasn't till it showed up that I read it.  My apologies!!! 

I in now way ment to be rude.  Or crass.  I did edit my post.  Thank you Leah..

As for my baby girl, Meme.  She's no long with me.  I was forced out of my home unexpectedly and had to place her and her sister.  I was able to keep their father, Atlas and my older girl, Kacie.  Who, btw,  ;) is a mutt. lol 

Thanks for this board... I just found you guys!!!

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 01:41:36 pm »
The AM vs OEM discussions have a habit of getting out of hand.  I think as long as you do some research and pick a dog that fits your family, then you should be alright. 
I have never had an AM, but I do have an OEM so my vote sways to OEM.

To everyone their own.

I also have a Newf/Rott mix, fondly called a Newfweiler.  He is the best dog in the world (according to me).  Maia is a wonderful dog but being of the bully breed, she has slightly more guarding tendency, which I wasn't used to. 
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline rv581

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 01:42:05 pm »
Sometimes it's absolutely **shocking** how much misinformation there is about AMs -- or the desperate measure certain OEM owners will stoop to, in order to malign a breed they're unfamiliar with.

AMs are bred in the States, have been around for about 20-years, and were started by experienced OEM breeders -- to correct certain problems that many OEMs have: excessive drool, joint problems, shorter lifespans, etc.  AMs tend to live pretty long for such a large breed; 12+ years (or even 15-years) aren't uncommon, and they have a tighter mouth to avoid those slobber woes.

One of the factors that led **my** family to deciding that an AM -- rather than an OEM -- was the right choice for my household was certainly the positive health improvements.. . but just as important was the care & kindness exhibited by the breeders.  They were screening me as much as I was screening them!  They've even set up an online forum to answer all our AM questions, from birth through the inevitable.  And that was very important to us.

My AM -- Leon -- just turned 30-weeks today, and has been even BETTER than we expected!  In addition to him having perfect health, he was housebroken at just 10-weeks, doesn't drool (except during excessive heat, or right after attacking the water bowl!), and has the size you'd associate with a traditional OEM (he's pushing 120-pounds now, is expected to reach 180-pounds at one year, and should max-out at around 220 - 260).  I couldn't be more pleased!

On top of that, the AM breeders have helped us stay in touch with other AM owners from around the country, to consult with, share stories, etc.  It's great!  And out of the numerous AM owners I know, I've NEVER met someone who had an aggression problem -- or had to return their puppy because of health problems.  NEVER.  EVER.  Furthermore, I'm deeply skeptical of any AM-bashing OEM booster who has a distant friend with something critical to say -- particularly when they won't even name which AM breeder they went to!  Sounds a bit too self-serving -- and since I know FAR more AM breeders, AM dogs, etc. than this other party -- and since those "problems" just haven't come up -- it makes me question their motives.

I love OEMs, along with loving AMs; OEMs are beautiful, wonderful dogs.  It's just a shame that certain OEM boosters would show such bizarre animosity towards such a similar breed...

Offline KBMastiffs

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 02:09:56 pm »

AMs are bred in the States, have been around for about 20-years, and were started by experienced OEM breeders -- to correct certain problems that many OEMs have: excessive drool, joint problems, shorter lifespans, etc.  AMs tend to live pretty long for such a large breed; 12+ years (or even 15-years) aren't uncommon, and they have a tighter mouth to avoid those slobber woes.

As for the health issues, I wouldn't know.  The drooling, not true.  They drool just as much as a true English Mastiff.  I've heard it straight from AM owners themselves. 

I did not start out to bash the AM.. I just ask that folks offer up ALL the information, especially that AM's are a mix and unregisterable and they drool.     

I'm glad your puppy is working out for you.  As I'm happy that Goliath is an amazing puppy.  I couldn't be happier that folks have found the right dog for their family.  But having experienced both breeds, personally and in rescue.  I'm only stating facts.  Not something passed along to me by way of the grapevine. 

I merely want folks to understand the difference.  Then make an educated decision, nothing more.  Frankly, I could care less which dog they chose.  The less the English Mastiff is chosen as a pet, the less likely it is to become popular.

Believe it or not, I get that.  So.. by all means, chose the AM over the EM.  I just feel it's appropriate to GIVE OUT ALL the information, not just one side of it.  These dogs, regardless of choice, AM or EM, are not for everyone! 

Furthermore, I'm deeply skeptical of any AM-bashing OEM booster who has a distant friend with something critical to say -- particularly when they won't even name which AM breeder they went to!

I'm sorry, I have absolutely NO idea what you speak of here.  I have no distant friend who has ever owned an AM.  So.. Unless you know something I don't, you have me here.

it makes me question their motives.

My motives are simple.  Simply stated, give them ALL the information.  ALL the potential for this and that, health wise especially.  Also, since it is a mix, give them an EM breeder to chat with about the differences.  Allow them to decide for them selves.  I couldn't make it any plainer.

I have absolutely no animosity towards any dog.  Regardless of breed.  It is and should always be ALL about education.  The WHOLE of it, not just one half. 

For those with AM's with amazing temperaments and great health.  AWESOME, I couldn't be happier for you!  These dogs deserve to be happy and loved.  So.. Please do not think I'm bashing, I merely mean to offer up ALL available information. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 10:29:23 pm by jabear »

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 02:20:05 pm »
K guys, we all have the right to our views & opinions so long as we keep it friendly here...I just want to add that all of the breeds we know & love today are crosses of the origional "root dogs"...I would assume that perfecting any new breed involves alot of trial & error...mistak es & triumphs...Yes, the AM might be in it's infancy so far as breeding goes but so was the "long haired" St. early in the last century as the smooth coated St. was in danger of extinction due to week genetics & the Great Pyrenees & Newfoundland were crossed with the St. in order to save the breed in the late 1800's...I am sure there was some trial & error there & the "long haired" St. wasn't recognized until later...All breeds have to start somewhere with a cross between exisiting breeds.