Author Topic: Jealous Dane  (Read 2369 times)

Offline littleprincess

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Jealous Dane
« on: July 06, 2005, 03:19:55 am »
hi! After months of dog fighting, my 6 month pups (lab & dane) have finally established a pack order.   :)     Not suprisingly, my the dane is now the alpha dog.  Having recognized this, I make sure that I greet and pet him first.    But, it seems it is not enough for him, he gets jealous, whenever we give attention to the lab.   As soon as I lay my hand on the lab, he bites my hand, nudges or jumps on me.  It as if he is dictating that I ignore the other dog, which is of course impossible.  Can someone help on this one?  Thanks

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Jealous Dane
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 05:57:36 am »
He is doing exactly what you think he is.

He is "dissing" you big time. What you see is not really jealousy. He is pulling rank on his subordinant. He is demanding that you pet HIM, not the subordinant dog.

If this were my dog I would handle it just like another dog handles this kind of disrespect.

It would be quick, loud, and effective.

As soon as I had the desired "startle" response from the impudent one, I would give a command, (sit or down), and reward the dog.

running 2 dogs of the same sex, esp when one is a working breed like a Dane, can be difficult. If you have not neutered both of them already, I would highly recommend that be put at the top of your priority list.

:D

Otherwise, you are doing a great job, keep reinforcing the dane's position, but he needs to understand he must respect you as well.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Jealous Dane
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2005, 08:43:58 am »
Most importantly remember that YOU not either dog is the Alpha in your house!...Your Dane is obviously not in this mind set...Do not accept any unacceptable behaivor from either dog & things should fall into place...I am glad they quit fighting though...That would be a huge stress!