Author Topic: to the people who give BPs baths in the tub...  (Read 15048 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
to the people who give BPs baths in the tub...
« on: January 20, 2007, 07:32:21 pm »
I WORSHIP YOU!  anyone who can manage to get their danes or other big paw in the bath tub, for that matter.  usually, we start a conveyor belt outside on the back porch to do baths.  it's just big enough, the hose reaches, and they're on wood, not grass or dirt so they actually get clean.  well, since it's REALLY cold outside we have to do at least the danes and caine inside, axle and sheeba will have to wait for a warm day or go to the groomers.  yeah.  well, it took me AND hubby 20 minutes to get diesel into the tub.  mind you, that's with him escaping our grasp and pulling us backwards several times, and acting a complete fool.  well, after about 35 minutes diesel is finally done.  now onto the others.  just thought i'd mention i WORSHIP those who can do this with no problem.

modified b/c i wanted to put in that scout LOVES baths (just not the tub, naturally) and gets the post bath high the second she smells shampoo on another dog!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 07:52:24 pm by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: to the people who give BPs baths in the tub...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 08:59:18 pm »
we usually do too, but OMG they smelled like butt!  i wanted to gag every time they came around, i swear they must have rolled in something dead!  they had to have one, esp since scout sleeps in bed when brandon isn't in the room, and diesel just has to be in your face!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline MommyOfSchnauzers

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:41:19 pm »
My 2 big paws LOVE the tub.  Ladybug is the only one that if you ask her if she wants a bath... she runs.  But some days, we will hear this big thump thump thump and Petunia will be in the tub tail wagging full force.  Dazy... if I am in the shower, I have to make sure the door is shut really good or she will be in with me. ::)
Mel

Mommy of Monsters
Ladybug
Dazy

http://www.myspace.com/mrsduck97

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 11:16:19 pm »
I bathe all 3 of my boys in the tub. Zeus will just jump in there whnever he wants. One time I had my shower running and i was in the kitchen waiting for it to warm up. I walk in my bathroom to find Zeus in my shower LOL

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 12:53:33 am »
she wasnt a BIG big paw , but my dalmatian gave a big fight when it was bath time,  took one to carry her and one to close the door then one to hold her and one to bathe her  :D if you let her go she would leap out of the tub and shake :o

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 08:36:47 am »
Dozer just got a bath, he will do anything for a Milkbone. I threw one in the tub and he jumped in. He was great until I was emptying his anal glands. He took a flying leap and I grabbed him in mid jump. Then I was soaked. ::)
Gretchen hates her baths. You have to hold her in by her collar with one hand and try to wash her with the other. Tealk hasn't had a real bath since he was small enough to fit in the kitchen sink. He went swimming quite a bit last summer. But he really needs a bath now. My other 3 hate baths but will resign themselves to the fact that it's going to happen anyway.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 12:49:33 pm »
Sadie loves water... of course! She's a Lab. She'll jump in the tub when I'm showering, so she's easy.

Riley loves to wade in the river-up to his neck-and will even swim if I get in and go to deeper areas. But he doesn't want to get in the tub, so I tie him to a tree in my front yard (since there's actually grass there) and use the hose. He deals with it okay. They both had their first Petsmart bath about a month or so ago, and I may just start taking him there when he needs it. Sadie gets bathed usually once a week, sometimes more-whenever she decides to jump in!

Offline Pyr Pack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 01:28:24 pm »
Xena is learning to tolerate it.  Simba (R.I.P.) use to stoically step into the tub for me, then tolerate having the water sprayed on him, shivering the whole time. Though he actually seemed to enjoy the soap massage. I've tried bathing my Pyrs outside.  I used a very large plastic storage bin as a tub.  But I'm too worried about the dogs getting cold.  Here in San Diego the temperature has been below 60 degrees for  almost 2 weeks.  We're not used to these cold snaps :-).  Before my Pyrs I was strictly a cat person.  If you've ever bathed a cat, you'll realize bathing a dog is a breeze.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 01:34:18 pm »
We used to give zoey baths in the tub. we would lure her in and close the bathroom door so she could get out, and then one of us would bathe her and the other would feed her treats.

But in our new house we have a claw-foot tub and with her bad hips we can't get her in since it's higher off the ground, so now she gets bathed outside (and now one of us has to hold the leash so she doesnt get the constant treats anymore :o )
RIP former BPO

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 01:53:41 pm »
We give all 3 of our dogs baths in the bathtub. Robin I normally have to fight to get in the bathroom but once i get her in there I say Robin in...and she jumps right in. Brody and Moose are different stories. Moose I have to grab by the collar and pull while my husband pushes. Then I pick him up and throw him into the tub. Brody fights tooth and nail to get into the bathroom and then whenever you pick her up she puts all 4 paws in a different direction. Once you get them in they usually aren't a problem. But I always end up soaking wet from head to toe.
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 01:53:58 pm »
Maggie is terrified of all things water(except the creek, but that's another story. ::)) So I either A. Put her in the bathtub or B. Drag her in the shower with me. Usually once she's in she'll listen, but shakes like an earthquake!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 04:12:28 pm »
getting our pooches into the bathroom isn't trouble at all.  all we have to do is leave the toilet seat up ha ha ha.  it's the tub part that gives us h*ll.  they act like we're trying to drop them into a furnace or something!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 12:23:19 am »
I mussst admitt that giving them a bath outside is much easier and more fun,but since the winter is just too cold they all go into the tub when they need it and Magic every other week so that we can go visiting.

I never ask them I put a leash/collar on them and once in the bathroom I take them to the bathtub and put their back feet in 1st then their front,They are all pretty cooperative,once they are there.

But I do need a new power sprayer to hook up for Falkor with all his hair.otherwise it takes forever to wash him out.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:04:10 am »
we have a power sprayer, also.  diesel is so funny trying to get him in the tub, if you do his front paws, he sits down and puts his back paws against the tub so you can't push him in, and if you let go to pick him up he's GONE!  if you put him inback feet first, he starts kicking and thrashing until he kicks the back of the tub, and knocks you over backwards.  he's such a whimp!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Anakalia

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:17:47 am »
Koby was soooo bad the first few times we tried giving him a bath in the tub, it took Tony and me both to keep him in there!  We'd have to lift him up while he was fighting and I knew that if he gained anymore weight we weren't going to be able to do that anymore! lol  I usually just get into my bathing suit and jump in the tub with him (not much room for me but we manage).  So to get him used to the bathtub, a couple times a week I'd get into my bathing suit and get out the leash (he loves his leash) and walk him into the bathtub, once in there he'd get a treat and he could jump back out.  A couple times of that and now he's awesome at bathtime.  Now I don't need any help, I say BATHTIME! and he'll jump right into the tub. I try to make it fun for him, he loves drinking the water out of the sprayer so I make sure he has fun while he gets a good scrub down. He also knows he gets yummy treats after he's all done!  ;D