Author Topic: to the people who give BPs baths in the tub...  (Read 15050 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: to the people who give BPs baths in the tub...
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 11:22:49 am »
good idea about how to train them to go to the tub!  i'll have to try that!  thanks!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2007, 05:20:25 pm »
Don't you have problems with all the fur that's left in the tub? We tried to bathe just Rosie's head (when she managed to get poop on it) and the tub was filled with her fur. We had one of those drain covers on the drain to keep her hair from clogging it, but it also just slows the draining even more so she ends up wading in dirty water. Since then, we've been taking her to a groomer. But if you have some good practical tips on bathing in the tub, that would be great. Paying $80 for professional bathing is just too much!
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2007, 06:26:05 pm »
we put a *piece* of washcloth in the drain, small enough so it DOES drain, but no hair gets by (at least not more than one or two hairs!)  we just cut a little square piece of wash cloth, crumple it,  and put it in the drain (it has a little X in it that holds it really nicely)  most places won't wash axle, actually only one in the area because of his breed.  they say they'll take them if they start coming on a regular basis as a puppy, but they won't make acceptions with adults.  losers.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline jeniferrochelle

• Gnawer
  • Tuba (Saint Bernard) and Tank (English Mastiff)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2007, 09:11:27 am »
Right now Tank is pretty easy but Tuba noway. We used to get him groomed and I still do occasionally when my husband won't find the bill...haha. He gets soo mad the last time he had to pick Tuba up for me at the groomer he could not beleive the almost hundred dollar bill so he wouldn't let me take him anymore. It is alittle outragous but they do it soo much better than I can. Recently though I found this K-9 wash and go where you can do it yourself for like 20 bucks. I went in and checked it out but haven't taken him yet I'm waiting for the weather to warm up. Has anyone used one of them?

Offline Becki

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2007, 03:08:18 pm »
Hi,

I've used the wash your own dog facilities here in Ohio.  They're pretty good, but they put the soap into the water for you and you never really get enough.  It was nicer when Molson didn't weigh 110 lbs. 

Molson is kind of weird about baths.  He comes in and lays in the tub every morning and when I leave the door open while showering, he sticks his big fat head in the shower and loves it.  But, when I put him in the tub and turn the water on him, he tries to get out of the tub.  He doesn't hate it, I think he just doesn't want to stand still that long....

And then comes the crazy running once he's free.  Why do dogs do that?  Payback or something?

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Here's what I do
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2007, 05:26:20 pm »
Star, dane, loves baths because she loves treats. We bathe the dogs in the kids' bathroom, so if I go in that room (to put towels away, or whatever) Star will jump in the tub, waiting for her cookies. If I have to make her get out because it's not bathtime, she's so disappointed!

Max, Akita/chow mix, hates water. He walks around puddles because he hates for his feet to get wet. But he's learned that the bath will happen no matter what, and there are cookies during bathtime! He stands there, looking miserable, but happily accepting the cookies. He's too old/arthritis to jump in or out of the tub, so I lift him in (front feet, then back feet).

To prepare for bathtime, I get out towels, and break up dog biscuits into small pieces (don't want anyone to get fat from their cookies!). Usually, when I'm getting ready, Star is already in the bathtub. Max will hang out outside the bathroom, to make sure he doesn't miss anything. While I bathe Max, Star will scratch at the door! I found that I need an assistant during bathtime, who will feed the treats all through the baths so I can focus on the bath part. I have a hair catcher thingy in the drain, and have to empty it a couple of times during each bath so the water will drain (because Max becomes distressed if he has to stand in water). But with my "assistant", I can easily throw the fur from the drain into the trash without slowing things down much.

Star's coat is so short/smooth compared to Max's heavy double coat that they take about the same amount of time to bathe, even though she's twice his size!

Hope this helps!
Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 07:06:14 pm »
We have a monthly bath routine in the tub. 
-Both get brushed throughly outside.
-We then go inside get treats and run up the stairs
-Rocco gets in the tub with a little dragging (he knows I plan to squeeze his anal gland and he hates that)while Maia stands in the bathroom and watches.
-As soon as Rocco is done and getting dried, Maia is already trying to get in.
-I keep Rocco in the bathroom with us until Maia is done
-I then open the bathroom door (make sure all other doors in your house are closed unless you like wet floors, walls, and sheets)
-The dogs both tear out of the bathroom chasing each other, in the winter they go in their room in the basement to dry more, in the summer out the back door they go.

-In between baths, I spray either people body spray (Rocco loves the Vanilla from Bath and Body) or the dog perfume spray.

I got lucky, my guys have always been decent at baths but I have been giving them baths monthly with the same routine since they were puppies.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 10:03:08 pm »
i trained my doggies as puppies to sit still in the shower while we take a shower together....it's easier this way b/c i'm going to get wet anyways....the hard part was teaching them to stay in the shower while i get the towels in place for drying time.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2007, 10:34:12 pm »
Bathtime.   ;D  That's a million dollar word!  Around here baths are great, as long as they're over!!!  Bella will go in the tub, stand there, enjoy her bubble massage, and then comes the really really good part....her towel!!!  She loves to rub her face in the towel to dry off.  Since we have rock floors, she cant run and jump into the carpet.  She also knows that bathtime=treats!  The first time I bathed Ellie, she layed down in the tub and clenched her paws so much I though she'd hurt herself.  Second bath went very well.  No problems now. Baths in the summer are much better...warm water, cute little friends to play with...good stuff.