Author Topic: such negativity!  (Read 5462 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
such negativity!
« on: January 25, 2007, 06:55:57 pm »
   As I already posted, I adopted a great dane/ lab pup from the humane society today, which I am thrilled about, but I have been getting a lot of negative responses from my family. my parents and my sister, mainly. i understand that it is not everybody's personal preference to have 3 dogs, but it is MINE. my dogs are very well taken care of. they are all up to date on shots, they get heartworm and flea medicine, they get fed a great quality food (Innova), they are all loved and played with and exercised, they are only alone (on average) a couple hours a day. so why shouldnt i have 3 dogs?!?! i respect other peoples right to have one dog or zero dogs and whatever, so why cant i get the same respect for my choice to have 3 dogs? it is sooo annoying. i called to tell people about my new pup, and i was so irritated to get such negative reactions. i just dont understand it. i dont have a huge house or a huge backyard, but i do have an average size house with an average size backyard. room enough for the dogs to run around play and enjoy. plus they get walked frequently, when the weather permits (which it hasnt lately, unfortunatly. my sister was saying how my 3 cats quality of life has gone down since i got dogs but i disagree. admittedly, my cats dont like the dogs much, but all that means is that they try to avoid them and sneak around them. its not like my dogs are aggessive towards them, they just want to play. my cats have adjusted just fine to living with dogs and my cats are very well loved and they are not unhappy.and we are constantly trying to train the dogs to not chase the cats. i just wish more people in my life could share my joy over getting a new puppy, especially since he is a rescue.
thanks for letting me vent!
Leah

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: such negativity!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 07:02:29 pm »
Awww i hate that! But, i SHARE YOUR JOY! WOOO NEW PUPPY! WOOO 3 DOGS! WOOO CATS! hahaha yep. i get alot of that, well mainly from my mom, she questions me owning 3 dogs 4 cats... and being 21 (22 on sunday wootwoot!) haha sorry. but yeah as long as they are cared for, thats all that matters, they are all loved, and in a home that WILL give them love, not on the street or in someones home who wont care for them properly. i think you made a good choise to adopt a pup. none of mine are rescues, but Zeus (our dane who passed) was and he was the greatest dog ever! :)
anyways- vent all you want, we're all here to listen
jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 07:31:12 pm »
Leah, I TOTALLY feel your pain!!!

I moved away from Athens 2 years ago with one dog. I came back with 5 dogs. All my old friends give me such a hard time about it. I don't understand WHY THEY CARE!!??!! They even TELL me to "find new homes for the dogs". WHAT??!!!!! AHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! >:( :-[ :'(

So I know exactly how you feel, and I will never understand why people are like that. WHY can't they just be happy for you?? Obviously, dogs make you happy. Do people not want you to be happy? I don't get it. ???

Hehe... I guess I needed to get that out of my system too!! :D ;) I am SOOOO HAPPY FOR YOU AND YOUR NEW PUPPY!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D ;D :D ;D :D

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 07:37:34 pm »
I can feel some of your pain, my family don't understand the 'need' for a BP (they have Chi's)plus hubby's family HATES cats which I have currently 2 (I have had 4 but we won't tell them :-X) I know it's not the same as having family and friends supporting you and your decisions but I hope you feel some sort of comfort that (most) of us at BP are a multiple pet household and you are more than welcome to vent away any time you feel the need, we're here for you ;D ~ Kim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:41:33 pm »
I am happy for you. I have 6 dogs, my family thinks I'm nuts. Most people just don't get it. Dogs are great.
I feel people should be happy for you because you are happy. What a simple concept...  Don't preach to me about too many dogs, just be happy and share my happiness.

We here at BPO can share your joy :D :D :D
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 07:49:42 pm »
Thanks guys, you're great ;D as long as you can and want to take care of them, the more animals the better, in my opinion. Thanks for the support
Leah

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 07:51:25 pm »

This is, of course, coming from a women sitting up in bed typing a message on a big dog message board while surrounded by about 450 pounds of dog, so take it for what it's worth.  ;D ;D ;D

Holly

You crack me up ;D ;D ;D I think I forgot to say we are sssooo excited for you and can't wait to see some pics
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 08:46:04 pm »
i SO feel your pain too, i have 5 dogs and 3 cats now and every time i talk to my family they ask how many i have now and when i'll rehome them.  never.  they know once they come here they never leave unless there is a BIG problem.  with us though, we have 2 kids so our family doesn't understand how it's "safe" to have 5 dogs from 75lbs to 130lbs.  don't give up, your happiness is all that matters!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:48:28 pm »
I am happy for you, can't wait to see pics! This is my favorite..."what are you going to do when you have a baby" well duh....if I could have it my way, my dogs would come to the hospical and visit. People don't understand, I love my big dogs and the cuddling that comes with them.

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:09:55 pm »
I deal with this same thing!  I have a Great Dane and a cat and my family calls my house the "zoo".  Apparently you only need 2 animals to be considered a zoo! lol  I just let it go in one ear and out the other, if they don't like it then they don't come over to visit.  I'm super happy for you and I can't wait to see pics!  ;D

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 09:12:20 pm »
I am known as the * animal lady* to most of my firends,and as far as family goes,if I don't have a houseful of animals,even more than I do now, their 1st comment is *is that all*

I do understand though,they use to roll their eyes and tell me of the more important things in life,LIKE THERE IS??? until they just gave up.

And coming from a family of nime kids and two parents,that's a lot of giving up if you know what I mean.

Don't get negitive back just carry on in your happy life and sooner or later they will either come around or give up.

You have all of us here on BPO and we like family with lots of puppers and whatever else you can come up with.

Tricia and the fur kids

Offline BellaRoosMom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 10:13:29 pm »
Sorry they don't understand...i t's totally frustrating.  I've always had a slew of pets to name off, and no matter what they say, I love my babies (It sure sounds like you do too!) ;D

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 08:18:16 am »
Maybe they will come around a little once they get to know the new puppers (if they make an effort to I mean). My family freaked out when I decided on a Saint Bernard.  "Do you know the drool? Do you know how BIG they get? Where are you going to fit a dog like that?" BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! 

Then I brought Bella home and eventually everyone got a chance to meet her, and everyone completely fell in love with the breed. Even my Mom (who HATES dirty, stinky, drooly dogs) wants to babysit for me. I have offers from everyone I know to watch her for me if I ever need a sitter.  LOL  So, maybe the new puppers will help ease the transition by making everyone fall in love! :D

I have two boys, a dog, two cats and I still shop for another dog. I'm always looking, even though I know my house is plenty full.  That is part of what connects us all here at BPO is our love for animals.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline critter crazy

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2007, 12:03:07 am »
I understand completely!!! All I ever hear is "you got another dog?? why??'" geesh, get over it! I also get negativeity from getting "Used dogs" what the heck?? what is wrong with helping out dogs, that have had a rough life, or just need to find a new home?? I dont get people sometimes, thats why i stick to my critters!!
If there aren't any critters in Heaven, Then I don't want to go!!