Author Topic: What are your thoughts on doggy back-packs?  (Read 15199 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What are your thoughts on doggy back-packs?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 04:37:06 am »
I was curious about recommendation s about pack types?  I was looking at the Ruff Wear palisades II.  We are planning on taking him hiking with us.  He won't be wearing it this summer because I think that he will still be too young but next year we will begin to add a little weight.  Has anyone used these packs or any other recommendation s?

The one positive about the Ruff Wear pack is that it has water bladders in it, it seems like that would make it easier to balance once he can carry weight.

Ruff Wear is just awesome! I have a friend who has one and she said it's the best one so far. Totally worth the money! Lily got a red one for Christmas but has not used it yet...maybe in the fall
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 03:31:55 am »
Cirra has a purple backpack from Wolf Packs.  It is a very nice pack and so are the folks who make them.  Yes, "the purple factor" is a consideration when choosing things for Cirra.  She is working on her Packdog Title with the Dog Scouts which requires fifty miles and a five mile "check out" hike.  We have gone 32 miles so far.  Cirra carries a very light weight pack.  Here are some pictures.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 04:17:37 am »
Cirra seems pretty happy caring it around! Nice backpack!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Bernertomboi

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 10:04:38 pm »
She looks so good in her pack.  I will definitely check out wolfpacks.  He needs something durable to start doing 14ers next summer.  Thanks to everyone for their help, this is my first big paw, but I already know that I will be a big paw owner for life.

Offline CrazyLoveRosie

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2007, 09:12:57 pm »
What do you put in her pack? I know working dogs can haul quite a bit but I'm such a worrywart about Rosie and trying to minimize any additional weight on her.
Rosie - Newfoundland

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2007, 10:18:43 pm »
We keep Cirra's pack very light due to her ACL injury last year.  Since she is working towards her Pack Dog Title with the Dog Scouts so she carries the items that they require.  The pack does not need to be heavy.  Many of the items such as a flashlight, pocket knife, compass, etc are available in small sizes and "mini" versions.  We hope to finish the fifty miles plus the five mile check out hike before it gets too warm for Cirra or we will just finish in the fall. Here is a link to the Dog Scouts.

www.dogscouts. com/backpacking.shtml