Author Topic: running with Border Collie (age/amount)  (Read 4918 times)

Offline luckysmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
running with Border Collie (age/amount)
« on: February 05, 2007, 03:11:17 pm »
I've heard various things about when it is ok to start running with a dog.  I even bought a book, "Running with Man's Best Friend" but I'm still uncertain.

The Border Collie needs lots of exercise.  Lucky is almost 6 months old.  I take him for a long walk almost everyday and hikes in the woods on the weekend.  When we are out on the trail, he often runs...I've been starting to run a little when he does -- mainly just some short sprints. 

I don't want him to hurt himself and wonder if the usual advice (1 year?) doesn't apply to this breed.

I used to run 5-6 miles per day but now I'm just walking with the dog waiting until he's ready.  I'm anxious to run more but don't want to hurt him.

Offline luckysmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: running with Border Collie (age/amount)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 03:30:36 pm »
How does Jackie get along with Tilly?  Or maybe I should ask how Tilly gets along with Jackie?

Offline luckysmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: running with Border Collie (age/amount)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 03:59:08 pm »
We've had our cat (Mister Mitts) for about 6 years.  He's pretty much an outdoor cat who used to fight with everything (including a coyote once) but has mellowed out. 

I can't tell how Mitts feels about the dog.  Sometimes, he starts it so I figure that it is play on both their parts.