Author Topic: SWIMMING  (Read 21086 times)

Offline HEAVY-D

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
SWIMMING
« on: February 07, 2007, 11:04:09 am »
I was wondering if neos could swim...or how will he react to water?

thanks

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: SWIMMING
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:18 am »
i agree!  i don't like to stereotype behavior based on breed, because it has a lot to do with how you raise them and what they're exposed to, so i'd really like to agree with stella in that it's all about how you raise your pup.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline txliberty92

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 09:29:37 pm »
although a like or dislike for swimming has to be determined on a somewhat individual level i think certain breeds are more inclined than others,
even outside of hunting breeds vs non-hunters
my pugs will swim, even on their own,
but my miniature schnauzers and my neopolitan mastiff will not even get close to the pool
they love the lake and the ocean though, so there's hope!

jesday

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 08:36:02 am »
Even the swimming breeds need a little coaxing and exposure. Check out my post, Finally in the Water. It took us three trips to the lake for them to realize this is fun and not a punishment from mom and dad. Syrus still needs a "push". :D

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 08:37:34 am »
My girl Naja is a Pyr, not a swimming breed.  But she loves nothing more then a trip to the lake on a hot day to splash around with my bf's 5 year old son.   :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 02:57:38 pm »
oh i've had a few breeds of dogs in my time.  A silky terrier who hated water and a shiz tzu that should never have gone into the water...and now Grace.  she is limited to her tolerance of water.  at first i had to pick her up and move her around the water.  later, she would step in shallow puddles and try baby pools.  now, she makes a point to go into the creeks and rivers where we walk.  she's learned rivers and creeks are a great resource for drinking water.  but mostly she likes to bob for garbage in the water.  she'll stick her head under the water and blow bubbles, coming up with a lillypad in her mouth. 
I bet dogs are a lot like people.  some of us like swimming and others don't.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2008, 08:40:18 pm »
Gunner is scared to bits of the big swimming pool but doesnt hesitate to jump in the shower with me or the tub with my 7 year old. :-\
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak