Author Topic: What wouldn't you feed your dog?  (Read 3882 times)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
What wouldn't you feed your dog?
« on: February 08, 2007, 11:56:07 pm »
Stephanie's thread got me thinking; Phelan is a picky eater and we try to add healthy things to his food to make it more enticing, everyone has lots of ideas on things to add but what are some things you wouldn't or shouldn't add?
Obviously I know about chocolate,xylitol and raisins but what else wouldn't you add?

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: What wouldn't you feed your dog?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:33:38 am »
Thanks for the link, he always tries to get the fabric softener sheets out of the laundry. I will have to take them out before they make it upstairs now. Thanks, Ann

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 11:36:34 am »
What  a great list...The glow jewelery made me chuckle...it would certainly make night time poo clean up easier though...lol

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 11:38:50 am »
my springers would kill someone over GRAPES!!!
They actually had their one and only fight over a grape!
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:54:25 am »
 ;D LMAO - Rainbow poo  :D

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 09:11:01 pm »
In using the canine nutritionists' advice that I respect the most, I wouldn't feed any foods that are not biologically appropriate for the canine species:

Sugar (including lactate and glucose containing fluids). Sugar promotes cancer (Colorado State Univ. Vet Med diet study, 1997), damages the pancreas, drains vitamins and minerals blocking absorption, and is implicated in hypoglycemia, diabetes, obesity, behavior problems, cataracts, tooth decay, arthritis, allergies and yeast infections.

Sugar foods include processed foods, grains, dairy, many fruits and vegetables (including carrots and sweet potatoes) and many liquid glucosamine products high in fructose.

Chocolate - it contains theobromine which is a toxin for canines - plus caffeine (nerve irritant) and sugar.

Dairy products - unless from raw sources.  Dairy contains foreign hormones and lactose (sugar) and is mucous forming in dogs.  Mosts dogs lack the enzyme required to digest lactose and will often get loose stool or upset stomach.

Grain - no biologic need for grain exists in dogs and a poor energy source for canines (fat is best and the only source fully utilized by canines). Grains break down into sugar in the body and are also mucous forming in dogs often causing allergies, ear infections, skins issues, bloating, joint problems, and digestive disorders. High gluten grains are often the most problematic.

Raw Salmon - in the raw state, it contains a parasite fluke causing rickettsia - an infectious disease.

Yeast -  we get rid of ants using yeast and sugar - as a tiny species, their imminent death shows the impact of these ingredients. These ingredients naturally expand in the body, causing bloat and their death. Yeast is a fungus and may cause a yeast overgrowth (gunky ears, itchy skin, licking feet and anal area etc.)  It can seriously disrupt the calcium/phosphorus balance in the canine body.

Corn - a very common allergen in dogs, they assimilate this very poorly.  Includes corn gluten meal and corn meal.

Raisins and Onions - toxic to dogs

Peanuts and Cashews - also contain toxic properties for dogs.  Almonds and Almond butter a much healthier and safer choice for dogs.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 09:16:14 pm by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar