Author Topic: Help, Louis got bitten  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Jo14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Help, Louis got bitten
« on: February 20, 2007, 01:49:15 pm »
Hi

I dont post here often but was hoping someone could help me out, Louis was playing with my other dog Bella (a staffy) and they play really well togehter usually but I dont know what happened but they ended up fighting, I jumped in stright away, and stopped it, and seperated them, and when I turned round there was blood all over the floor and Louis was bleeding, I cleaned him up with just clean water and he seems to have a bite on the side of his face/neck on his flobery bit, it bled a lot but it has stopped now, and he seems OK, he wont let me look at it properly so I am guessing it is sore, but I am wondering what I should do, should I put something on it?? I can take him to the vets in the morning but they are shut now, does anyone have any advice on this, I am so cross I let them play for so long that they got into a fight, I guess i will know better in future, bella is getting old and she must have run out of paitence with him. :( :( :(  I know sometimes dog bites cause infection, what should I be looking out for.

Thanks

JoanneX

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Help, Louis got bitten
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 02:22:31 pm »
I'd mix 50% water with 50% peroxide and soak a cloth in it and then clean his wounds... my two males fight, and thats what i do for them. it seems pretty effective, but its REALLY gross to watch hahah

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 04:47:54 pm »
This is what I did when Harley was bit in the back. I had to shave the area, she has longer hair and I couldn't clean it properly without shaving. After that I used the no sting foam cleaning stuff and put some polysporin on it. I made kept checking it to make sure that it wasn't infected. We did take her to the vet and the vet said that I did what she would have done. Harley healed up perfect and all her fur grew back.  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Jo14

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 04:48:34 am »
Thanks Everyone

I cleaned it with dettol, Im in the UK and not sure what Neosporin is, so the dettol is an antiseptic that is for humans, I have just kept i clean and dry and up to now seems perfectly fine and seems to be healing up, I think all the blood made it look worse than it actually was, and they seem to be back to playing nice together thank goodness :) :)

Offline Saint Pyr

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 04:59:22 pm »
Poor thing  :(.  Our Saint got attacked by coyotes a month ago and luckily only came out with 3 puncture wounds.  What we did was shave the area and then mixed Betadine with water till it resembled weak tea.  We then used a syringe (with out the needle) and really syringed the area out.  You have to make sure you get the betadine solution right in the puncture wound.  One wound looked like it ws getting infected so we soaked the scab off with the betadine solution and syringed it again.  We were lucky and he healed really well and we didn't need antibotics for him.

Anyway I know that this is alittle late and all is healing well but it might help if something like that happens again.  Cheers  ;D
I hope to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.