Author Topic: Ester C  (Read 2076 times)

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Ester C
« on: March 03, 2007, 08:44:53 pm »
I read some articles on Ester C for helping joint problems. I started giving Tealk 1000 mg a day and It seems to be helping him a lot. He has been taking Ester C for 2 weeks now and has actually been able to stand up on his hind legs, as in putting his front paws on Kens chest ;D
Does anyone have experience with this treatment or any opinions about it.

Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Ester C
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:43:52 pm »
Hello!!!!
I was talking to a breeder about zeros feet (he has fungus infections). anyways- she told us to give him ester c, which we bought, and he is supposed to get 2 a day but we are starting him slow with 2 every 2 days... Anyways, his toes look a bit better... so- i guess they work well but - they DO give him bad gas rofl (or - maybe its the cheeze i give it to him with?!) lol
jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Ester C
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 09:04:11 pm »

Dr. Belfield has written quite a bit about ester-c and preventing or reducing symptoms of dysplasia and other joints problems.  This is due to vitamin C's purported ability to affect tendons and ligaments surrounding the joint.  I know several who believe it has worked well for them in their dogs as well.

One caution however is to understand that vitamin C is an acidifier and can dramatically alter the ph balance in the system.  As a result, long term use should carry caution.  For generally alkaline dogs, ester-c may actually be helpful by acidifying - but for dogs who are naturally quite acidic, vitamin C could spell problems, including bile vomiting, stomach upset and nausea including grass eating, and at its worst, calcium oxalate bladder stones and crystals (this is caused because high doses of vitamin C will cause rapid excretion of calcium in the urine).  So just something to consider and evaluate before taking on long term use of vitamin c.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar