Author Topic: DISTRUCTIVE DOBIE????  (Read 8088 times)

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
DISTRUCTIVE DOBIE????
« on: July 09, 2005, 05:22:58 am »
I was wondering what other people have done about this,My dobie will destroy EVERYTHING in the house if she can reach it if she cant she will poop and pee everywhere even if were just gone for 5min what can i do to stop this besides haveing to bring her EVERYWHERE!!!!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: DISTRUCTIVE DOBIE????
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 07:30:55 am »
have you ever tried crating her?  When Ace was younger he destoyed a lot of stuff before I decided to crate train him, now whenever I am gone all my dogs are crated and they enjoy it, it is their den.  I would definitley crate train her.  Let us know how it does.

Offline kilbaraberry

• Ankle Biter
  • katie and 1/2 of pups
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005, 08:19:35 am »
unfortunetly the only one i have at the momen is WAY to small for her.Ineed to get her one what would be a good size for her any thoughts you cAN SHARE ABOUT YOURS?

osirisdobermans

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2005, 09:39:34 pm »
Dobermans are known for being destructive puppies and adolescents.
Try crate training, Training in general, Taking her outside every thrity minutes before and after she eats. Keep her confined to a small no carpeted area. reward her for going to the bathroom outside. Try cayenne pepper paste on stuff you don't want chewed. You might need to seek professional help.
Please research your breed ( to everyone ) so you and your companion can live in sync with eachothers traits.

Dobermans arent't for everyone.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 07:11:47 am »
My OEM, Maia will destruct if left out of her crate at night or while I am gone.  I can leave her with Rocco free in the house if I am working outside.  She doesn't touch a thing until I fall asleep or leave the driveway.  Her crate is her place and she knows she gets a milk bone at night and in the am when I go to work.  She loves it and I love that I am not constantly picking up destruction.

Depending on the brand of crate you get, the sizes vary greatly.  I have huge metal cages for my guys and I have another brand XL that is a lot smaller.  I don't know how big doberman's get, probably  not as big as Newf or OEM.  There is an XL metal cage that you can find at most Walmarts that will put you back $50-70, depending on if there is a sale.  I like the metal cages as opposed to varikennels for my guys but you might like the varikennels (plastic with metal door) better.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

BabsT

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 07:26:21 am »
Sounds like the dog is suffering from a case of Seperation Anxiety...If she was truly destructive she would be doing the same with you in the house.  With you leaving she doesnt know how to cope and vents on the house itself...Crati ng does sound like a safe place for the dog until you can work on leaving the house with your dog inside

In my opinion, dogs work well on a schedule so they know what is going to happen next. Take the dog on a good walk before you leave so you know that she is fully eliminated and tired.  Then,start by just going out the front door and mabye going around the house and back in and see how the dog does. If she is behaved reward.  If the dog didnt then ignore the dog.  Once you have that down. then go to the car, start it up, shut off the car and then go back in.  Ignore the dog when they are trying to greet you until it settles in, then a praise for being a good dog...Over a period of time increase the time that you are gone and the dog will realize that you are infact coming home.

Also save the good treats for when you leave...I use marrow bones but use something you are comfortable with that the dog also enjoys.  Also dont make it a big deal when you leave, just walk out and then walk in...If you have anxiety when leaving the dog, the dog will pick up on it

Good Luck

Offline billybooker

• Gnawer
  • Cocoa by the fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 08:04:47 am »
Another couple of tips for seperation anxiety besides the good ones mentioned already are to make sure your dog gets pleanty of vigorous exercise daily. Around half an hour to an hour of running-not a walk around the block. There are a few fenced in ball fields near my house that I take my dobe to when they are empty. After a while of playing fetch she's pooped and easier to live with. A dog who is well exercised is generally a calmer dog with fewer behaviour problems. Generally not paying any attention to the dog when you arrive home until you are in the house for at least 10 minutes aswell as crate training can be a big help. Make sure that when you crate train that you take it slow-start by feeding your dog its meals in the crate and putting her in it for short periods. Just make sure that you don't open the door while the dog is whining or it will learn that whining opens the door and it will whine continuously while crated. A minute or two of no whining and you can open the door. Make sure you never use the crate as an area for punishment. Also, when speaking about seperation anxiety, you may want to give your dog a nice big chew toy (ie. kong) filled with bits of kibble and some peanut butter in the crate to keep busy while your gone. One more thing you may want to try is the Bach Flower Remedy for seperation anxiety. Bach Flowers are flower essences in solution that help with different emotional problems. You can check out the website for more info. Oh yeah-one more thing I just thought of that I learned at a recent dog seminar-never get mad at your dog if you come home and it destroyed your sneakers for example-its too late for that-instead you get mad at the sneakers! Since you do not want to relay and negative emotions to your dog or else it may not come next time you call- out of fear-you associate your negative emotions to the object. I know it sounds funny, but the dog does not want to be part of anything that you think negative of and apparently will not touch the "sneakers" again. Good Luck.
Jennifer W
Jennifer W