Author Topic: Bella is getting skitish!!  (Read 5987 times)

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Bella is getting skitish!!
« on: March 05, 2007, 11:06:52 am »
I don't know what may be going on with Bella, but she been jumping at every little noise.  I will accidently hit the wall or counter top, and then she starts barking like someone is at the door.  There are certain sounds on TV that she freaks out about also.  Forget about it if a program has a bell sound to it.
I decided that this may be a problem when I just gave her a treat.  I was talking to her as usual before the treat, then I said my usual "Good girl, you're my baby girl" (or something silly like that), and she jumped and barked, looking around the house, like someone else had said it.
What's got her so spooked???
Tessie - Belladonna's and Mojo's Mom

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bella is getting skitish!!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 01:51:19 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Bryce does the samething most of the time he is standing right behind me and scares me! He has a very deep bark you can feel through your body. My other 2 are older and have figured out when they should bark well 1 does the other one does once in a while she will figure it out i m sure ! marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 10:00:21 am »
my dogs act paranoid and bark at everything if they've seen something in the yard that day that doesn't belong, or if we had unexpected company that banged on the door really loud instead of ringing our door bell.  i don't know if that's what's going on at your house, but maybe someone knocked on your door too loud and made her get a little nervous?
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:27:56 am »
Maybe she is just going through a bit of a fear phase.  Tonka went through a really bad one, his own reflection would send him screaming, tail tucked through the house....and if the wind blew...HOLD ON!  I would do my best to help him face his fears and get used to them.  He was literally afraid of everything from trash bags to luggage (yes, you heard me.  The sight of luggage sent him into a tailspin).  I would try not to pet her or treat her during this, it may reinforce the behavior.  Just try to help her face them.
Tonka still freaks if there is a knocking or doorbell on the television though. ::)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 11:54:22 pm »
Maybe she is just going through a bit of a fear phase.  Tonka went through a really bad one, his own reflection would send him screaming, tail tucked through the house....and if the wind blew...HOLD ON!  I would do my best to help him face his fears and get used to them.  He was literally afraid of everything from trash bags to luggage (yes, you heard me.  The sight of luggage sent him into a tailspin).  I would try not to pet her or treat her during this, it may reinforce the behavior.  Just try to help her face them.
Tonka still freaks if there is a knocking or doorbell on the television though. ::)

How old was Tonka?  Bella is 19 months right now.  She's always been clownish and goofy (jumping around at the strangest things), but I hope this type of jumpiness is just a phase.

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 09:00:17 am »
Hi Bella's mom.  My Gracie (10 months this month on the 16th) is going through a fear stage.  This is the first time I've seen her ever act remotely skitish.  She's suddenly jumping at everything including trash bags on the ground outside as we walk and friendly strangers make her bark and tuck her tail.  It was only about two weeks ago that I had to work with her to not pull the lead towards strangers as she used to love to meet new people.  Cars driving by have started to make her jump and bolt as well which is totally new as she always takes two big walks a day so she's very familiar with cars passing.  This past weekend she started barking almost aggressively at her food bowl and I found that when her nose would bump it and it moved, it flipped her out.  Sometimes it's a little funny because it's so silly but I'm with Stacey and I think it's important not to encourage this behavior and make them face it and deal with it.  I think it will pass for Bella as well.  Though I would let her deal with it on her own time.  Don't force her and make it a negative experience on any level.  Good luck with her.  :D
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline Bella's mom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 01:01:36 pm »
Hi Bella's mom.  My Gracie (10 months this month on the 16th) is going through a fear stage.  This is the first time I've seen her ever act remotely skitish.  She's suddenly jumping at everything including trash bags on the ground outside as we walk and friendly strangers make her bark and tuck her tail.  It was only about two weeks ago that I had to work with her to not pull the lead towards strangers as she used to love to meet new people.  Cars driving by have started to make her jump and bolt as well which is totally new as she always takes two big walks a day so she's very familiar with cars passing.  This past weekend she started barking almost aggressively at her food bowl and I found that when her nose would bump it and it moved, it flipped her out.  Sometimes it's a little funny because it's so silly but I'm with Stacey and I think it's important not to encourage this behavior and make them face it and deal with it.  I think it will pass for Bella as well.  Though I would let her deal with it on her own time.  Don't force her and make it a negative experience on any level.  Good luck with her.  :D
Thanks.  When she jumps, I try to just act like I didn't even notice anything.  I try not to acknowledge her like that, so I won't encourage her.  By the way, the bowl thing is hilarious! :D (Sorry)  Good luck with Gracie's fear stage, also.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:05:47 pm by Bella's mom »