Author Topic: List of Big Paw savy vets?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
List of Big Paw savy vets?
« on: March 06, 2007, 07:07:17 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if there is one already, but I was hoping that we could start a list of vets who have shown themselves to have a knowledge above and beyond the usual when dealing with Big Paw patients.  I think this could be a really valuable resource, as there is a huge difference between our guys and the 50-75 lb dogs that are usually lumped together in the term "large breeds".  A vet that understands this is a priceless commodity!

-Dan
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline DogGuideDan

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • The Dog Guide
Re: List of Big Paw savy vets?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 08:10:38 am »
DuckyBoy, you are very fortunate.  You are probably within walking distance of one of the best Vet Hospital/Schools on the east coast.

While it's true that I do (5 blocks actually!), VHUP doesn't do the routine procedures (vaccines,spay/neuter, etc).  However in an emergency, I can't think of a better place to live. 

The little guy is actually going to be seen by a DVM friend of mine who works in a cat practice!  She's got a BP of her own and has had a prophylactic gastropexy done on her pooch, so she's happy to write our referal when the time comes. 

I think if anyone has an amazing vet, that it would be great if they shared who they were!  If someone happens to come on looking for a new vet for their big paw, it could serve as a valuble resource.

-Dan
-Dan
Reef- 6yo APBT
Lucian - Dogue De Bordeaux Puppy
www.dogguide.n et

Offline fila4me

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:39:05 am »
I love my vet! My fur kids have been going to him for over 17yrs. He did extensive reasearch on Filas and Dogos. He is also my breeders vet. He even contacted other Dogo and Fila breeders for some more info!!

And he is EXTREMELY pit bull friendly!!

I love him!! He has pictures of my dogs in his office and the hospital and the one at his house!!

Dr. David Rolfe-Roanoke Animal Hosp. Roanoke, VA
Tammy
Chynna-APBT 8 1/2 yrs
Bo-Husky mix 11 1/2 yrs
Gracie-Argentine Dogo 10yrs
Dutchess-Eng. Springer RIP
Jordan-Eng. Springer RIP
Icca-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Jezzabelle-Fila Brasileiro RIP
Paco-Argentine Dogo RIP
Falcon-Argentine Dogo RIP

marypyrs

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 03:34:47 pm »
 ;D Dr. Roger Pitts!!! (Duluth MN) Without a doubt - on a scale of 10 he is a 20+!!! And Duluth Vet Hospital as well.

I feel extreemly fortunate to have them as a part of "My Guys" lives. They have been here for me 24/7 for many years. I could write a book, (many books) on these fine and knowelagable professional care givers.

enuffpaws

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 11:27:09 pm »
Darien Animal Clinic, in Darien Illinois. They have 5 vets there, and  have been to 4 out of the 5, and know one of their vet techs personally. Although they keep "normal business" hours at that location, the vets rotate thru an emergency clinic in Lisle as well, so there is a continum of care 24/7.
I looked for two years for big dog saavy vets and have been extremey happy with this group.
Stella

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:47:35 am »
My breeder is actually a vet so...We don't actually use him, but one of the vets at the hospital we use has 2 bully's. We haven't had any need of specialized care (hopefully never) but the University of Guelph is 10 mins from my house and is of course Ontario's Vet School (had to take my cat there, problem solved). Ann

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 08:12:16 pm »
I highly recommend Dr. Dayton Williams of All Animal Pet Hospital in Sioux Falls SD.

I have known him for about 10 yrs, even before I got my first dog.  He is the zoo vet (which is where I met him first), so he also knows exotics as well, which can be really hard to find.  His specialty is actually birds, but I've never been disappointed in his care and he truly is in it for the animals and not to make a buck.

Plus I used to work for him also right before I moved to CA and so I've seen first hand his wonderful caring attitude and his expansive knowledge in just about everything.  He answered every question I had on danes before I got Gunther and told me to stay away from breeders in the area (as at the time there weren't really any good ones)

It is why I still drive the 3.5 hrs down there for all their vet needs while here in MN.

Hey Stella, I will have to keep that reference in mind when we finally do get out to IL and see if it is w/i driving distance.  Looks like it should be.