Author Topic: BAD treats for your dog...  (Read 3546 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
BAD treats for your dog...
« on: March 09, 2007, 11:40:24 am »
just thought i'd post a topic to start a discussion about treats.  i know i've found a few treats that i just don't think are good for my dogs, so i thought maybe we could share for our own info. 

one treat i will NOT give my dogs are the Omega Paw DRLG Dental Rings.  i got this when i had first got axle b/c it was recommended that i get a dental ring for him.  well, being new to BIG dog treats, i didn't know what they were, and found out after i had bought it that they are made from corrugated cardboard layers!  not only are they super messy, axle destroyed it and ate the pieces while he was chewing it in his crate (his "bed").

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-Paw-DRLG-Dental-Large/dp/B0002AQQ1A
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 11:41:15 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Anakalia

Re: BAD treats for your dog...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 11:50:29 am »
I think a lot of it is personal preference, but I know I wouldn't want to be letting my dog digest cardboard!  :o  Koby doesn't get many treats because of his digestive issues, but some things I won't ever give him again are, Greenies, Rawhide Chews or Pigs Ears.  I've been either giving him EVO treats or bake homemade treats so I know exactly whats in them and sometimes I'll give Koby a kong with frozen peanut butter.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 12:18:09 pm »
what's up with greenies, and do you know where i can get more info on the curing with arsenic?  that's a good point to bring up, because i know i've never heard that!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 12:48:43 pm »
I think a lot of it is personal preference, but I know I wouldn't want to be letting my dog digest cardboard!  :o  Koby doesn't get many treats because of his digestive issues, but some things I won't ever give him again are, Greenies, Rawhide Chews or Pigs Ears.  I've been either giving him EVO treats or bake homemade treats so I know exactly whats in them and sometimes I'll give Koby a kong with frozen peanut butter.

I totally agree with you guys on the home made and also the all naturals treats.  I'm even cautious with peanut butter as most common brands use fully hydrogenated oils.  So I'll spring for the all natural peanut butter for that reason alone.  I had no idea about the Greenies and thank you guys for letting me know.  That is really good information that I'll pass along to friends who do give Greenies to their pooches as treats.
Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 02:36:35 pm »
Since this is a great thread, I thought I would ask if anyone has a really great homemade doggie treat recipe they would like to add?  I don't make anything, and have very nearly given up treat all together becuase most of the stuff I give tend to make Bella's BMs.... um... messy.  So, I would love some recipe ideas. If this is in another post (I didn't look first- shame on me!) let me know.  ;)
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Gracie Belle

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 03:14:14 pm »
Since this is a great thread, I thought I would ask if anyone has a really great homemade doggie treat recipe they would like to add?  I don't make anything, and have very nearly given up treat all together becuase most of the stuff I give tend to make Bella's BMs.... um... messy.  So, I would love some recipe ideas. If this is in another post (I didn't look first- shame on me!) let me know.  ;)

Gracie LOVES THESE!!!!
Peanut Treats
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 Tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk

Combine flour and baking powder in a large bowl.
Combine milk and peanut butter in a separate bowl and mix until smooth.Gradual ly stir peanut butter mixture into flour in the larger bowl.Knead dough by-hand and roll-out on floured surface to desired thickness. Cut-out treats.  Place aluminum foil on cookie sheet and bake 15 minutes at 400°F.
Cool before storing. Note: cooking time may vary depending upon thickness.

Misty slave to:
Gracie Belle, 2 year English Mastiff
Rosco, 1 yr Toy German Shettweiler (designer mutt of course)and toy cause he's not Rotti or GSD size AT ALL.  Though they said he was a mix of the two..  Tonka, 3 year Great Dane
And last and most certainly NOT least, Linus 5 year old cat.