Author Topic: Homemade Doggie Treats  (Read 6411 times)

Anakalia

Homemade Doggie Treats
« on: March 09, 2007, 03:22:35 pm »
I thought I'd start a new thread and we can all put treat recipes here that we make and our dogs love!  I'm always up for trying out new recipes!  Here's some that I make for Koby.  Also if you know your dog is allergic to wheat and a recipe calls for wheat flour what I do is put oatmeal in my food processor and process it til it looks like flour and use that instead of the wheat.

Treats for Stinky Breath

Ingredients:
2cupsbrownrice flour
3tablespoonsoi l
1egg
1/2cupfreshmintchopped
1/2cupfreshparsleychopped                                                                                                     2/3 cup lowfat milk
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Add all the ingredients.Dr op teaspoonfulls on oiled sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake 15-20 minutes. Store in air tight container in the refrigerator.

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits
•   1 ½ cups water
•   Â½ cup oil
•   2 eggs
•   3 tablespoons peanut butter
•   2 tsp. vanilla
•   2 cups flour
•   Â½ cup cornmeal
•   Â½ cup oats
Blend wet ingredients together. Whisk dry ingredients together and mix into wet mixture to form a ball of dough. Roll out and shape. Put onto a non-stick cookie tray or lightly greased one. Cook 20 minutes at 400 F. Turn off oven and allow the biscuits to cool in oven until crisp and hard. Store in airtight container.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 03:27:19 pm by Anakalia »

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Homemade Doggie Treats
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:32:34 pm »
THANKS SO MUCH!!!  i have wanted to try a home made recipe, but have been a little put offish because i didn't know which ones would come out good,
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 04:44:15 pm »
AWESOME thanks. I just bought a "just add water" box from walmart hahaha and i just put it in the oven. they smelt pretty darn good. it came with a bone shaped cutter, so im gonna try these next :D Hahah thanks again... any more? I have a recipe for doggy cake... hahaha I'll dig it up and post it :)

Jodi
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 05:06:43 pm »
here's a cool website with a whole bunch of recipe's for free.

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Recipes/Recipes.htm
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 07:09:52 pm »
Thanks for the great post I have often wanted to try making Harley his own biscuits but didn't know where to begin - I also received one of the just add water kits from my neighbor for the holiday but I haven't made it yet.

I look forward to the cake recipe so I can make that for Harley's birthday (in September)

Randy

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 07:25:54 pm »
Here's a Birthday Cake recipe I made for Koby on his B-day.  I had to change it up a bit but it still turned out great and it made the house smell sooooo good!  ;D

Peanut Butter Carrot Cake

•   1 cup flour
•   1tsp baking soda
•   1/4 cup peanut butter
•   1/4 cup vegetable oil
•   1 cup shredded carrots
•   1 tsp. vanilla
•   1/3 cup honey
•   1 egg
Mix flour and baking soda. Add remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 8" round cake pan and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Let cool. Puree cottage cheese in blender for icing. Decorate with more peanut butter and carrots.

And here's another recipe!

Doggie Cookies
Combine:
2 cups white flour
1 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups oatmeal
3 cups grated cheese (can substitute 1/2 can of pumpkin instead of cheese)
MIX IN
1 beaten eggs
1/8 cup oil
1/8 cup milk
1/4 cup liquid honey
1 cups warm water MIX WELL Roll out on floured board ( not to much flour)around 1 inch
thick. BAKE AT 350 FOR 20-25 MINUTES.

Offline Blair

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 10:52:52 am »
I love making home made doggie treats  :) I made these muffins last year nad my dogs loved them, but that doesnt say much cause they love anything they get to eat LOL

Dog Muffins
Dog Muffin Recipe Ingredients for dog muffin recipe: 1 cup all-purpose flour 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 tablespoon baking powder 1 cup cheddar cheese — Shredded 1 cup carrot — grated 2 large eggs 1 cup milk Preparation for dog muffin recipe: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line it with paper baking cups. Combine the flours and baking powder and mix well. Add the cheese and carrots and use your fingers to mix them into the flour until they are well-distributed. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Then whisk in the milk and vegetable oil. Pour this over the flour mixture and stir gently until just combined. Fill the muffin cups three-quarters full with the mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins feel springy. Be sure to let the muffins cool before letting your dog do any taste testing! One muffin for medium to large dog, half a muffin for a toy or small dog. Enjoy this dog muffin recipe.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 11:13:21 am »
THis is a great thread.  I have a book called "Tasty Treats for Demanding Dogs".  It's got great recipes in it and so far my three have loved them all.  I added in some amaranth flour in place of wheat flour in case of allergies.  But the ones that they seemed to like the best so far are:

Animal-shelter Puppy Treats

2/3 c wheat germ
1/4c nonfat dry milk
2 4oz jars of beef or chicken flavored baby food

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix all ingredients to a soft dough and pinch off small pieces and roll into a ball shape.  Place on ungreased cookie sheet and flatten with a fork.  Back for 25-30 minutes and allow to air dry for at least 3 hours.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 05:32:50 pm »

Jodi...
I think we may have gotten those (christmas present), came in a maroon (ish) tin with a little gold cookie cutter? I added smushed banana in with the mix (He LOVES banana) and they turned out pretty good.

Anakalia

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 08:14:59 am »
Which are the ones you sent my babies?  They looooooooooooo ved those!!

OH I didn't even post that recipe! It's a super easy recipe and makes a pretty big batch.  Here it is:

Peanut Butter Cookies
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup skim milk
Preheat oven to 350
Combine flour & baking powder; in a separate bowl, combine peanut butter & milk; mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and knead together.  Roll out to 1/4" thick. Cut with cookie cutter, bake for 10-15 min.

Anakalia

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 08:27:22 am »

Those aren't bad to eat yourself, either.  Not that I sampled one or anything.  I'm just saying ...  :-[ ::) :D

HAHAHAHAHAA!!  Well I'll admitt it I tried one!  They smelled so good coming out of the oven I HAD too, very peanut buttery.  :D

Anakalia

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 01:12:53 pm »
Ooooh!!  I need to make those.  They even look easy to ME!  Then again, just having some show up in the mail from Aunt Adni would me MUCH easier!!   ;D ;D ;D

What are you talking about looking easy to you?  Miss I make 48374673 complicated entrees for a dinner party!!!!   :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 01:15:08 pm by Anakalia »