Author Topic: help,when should i spay?  (Read 4184 times)

Offline jill328

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
help,when should i spay?
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:16:31 am »
hi i'm new here and a proud new mom of emmy a 4month old new foundland. i was woundering if anyone had advice about when to have her spayed? my vet wants to do it now,but i have heard that i should let her go threw 1st heat or wait till she is a year old. help!! jill ??? ???
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 01:19:42 am by jill328 »

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: help,when should i spay?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 01:58:10 am »
I have posted this article before however maybe it will be of some help.  

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 02:00:43 am »
Early spay has been the trend for a long time BUT recent studies are showing that early spays predisose the dog to orthopedic injuries particularly ACL,  I have a statement in writing for the vets of new puppy owners that the dog should NOT be spayed before they are a year old.  There is a breeder vet that also is now advocating to wait until they are 2 before spaying on the large/giant breed dogs.

Offline jill328

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 02:46:34 am »
thank you very much! the info was very informing, i think i'll wait to have emmy spayed thanks again,jill
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 01:49:38 am by jill328 »

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 02:49:37 am »
People here are aware of our issues with trying to get my Newf, Anna, spayed.  She's only 15 months old and has already gone through 2 heats!  I have a note to call the vet to make the appointment the minute 8 weeks is up!!  She goes out of her mind when she's in heat - chews stuff, is unhappy and cranky.  I really wish we had been able to have her spayed before her first heat.

It also is more expensive to have her spayed since she's gone through a heat.  Why, I don't know...but t'is a fact!
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:17:39 pm »
I can't tell you about large breed dogs and when to spay/heat cycles as I have a male.

But i do have one female rat terrier intact and believe me, it was not fun going thru a heat cycle.  At least we are in the country so there aren't too many dogs in a small area to have to worry about visiting males.  Just to be safe though, she went out always with Gunther, who acted as a bodyguard.  ;)

I also have an intact male rat terrier who we had to keep separted from her for obvious reasons.  His whining was enough to drive me up the wall.  :P  :P  Also during her heat cycle she ate one of her panytliners which gave us a scare for a day or two until she finally started pooping again with the help of some advice from the vet.   ::)

I would totally recommend getting it done before a heat cycle.  Less mess, less stress.  Unfortunately for me, I promised the person I got them from to try and show my two buggars so I can't get them fixed, at least not yet.  But believe me, if they don't perform in the ring or meet expectations, they will be on the operating table as fast as can be.

Offline Carebear_myGSD

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 07:01:19 am »
It also is more expensive to have her spayed since she's gone through a heat.  Why, I don't know...but t'is a fact!

Its because they say there more of increas chance of bleeding and such I dont know realy but why dont you try your local ASPCA they do just of good of a job and a heck alot cheeper !!