Author Topic: MAJOR KIBBLE RE-CALL  (Read 15362 times)

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
MAJOR KIBBLE RE-CALL
« on: March 19, 2007, 07:48:48 am »
Hi,
'
This was all over the news Locally in New England just wanted to Pass it along.

There has been a major recall of Dog and Cat Kibble due to an ingredient causing High Blood Pressure and Heart problems.

here is the link http://www.menufoods.com/recall/

I hope no ones pets are affected.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: MAJOR KIBBLE RE-CALL
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 08:10:52 am »
It's not a kibble but rather wet foods that are being recalled..."gravy style" ones. All of the brands are not good ones anyways. People should know that if they pay "nothing" they will get "nothing... good for their pet's health"
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline rayray

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Me and Onyx
    • View Profile
    • my myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:06:18 am »
untrue.  nutro was on that list as were some other quality brands.
My new GSD! He doesn't have a name yet... :/

Onyx: Black German Shepherd - her myspace:  http://www.myspace.com/onyxroxdablox

Sparky: Black and White Shih-Tzu (he likes to play with the big doggies!) his myspace: http://www.myspace.com/sparkyboyrox

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:17:27 am »
untrue.  nutro was on that list as were some other quality brands.
[Nutro is not good food!]
Mary W. Crane

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:17:40 am »
Hi

Weather good brands or not some people can only feed what they can afford and no matter what we may think, no pet should suffer or become Ill because of not knowing about a re-call.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:19:52 am »
Hi

Weather good brands or not some people can only feed what they can afford and no matter what we may think, no pet should suffer or become Ill because of not knowing about a re-call.
It's like with having children...if you can afford to feed them quality food you should probably not have them.
Mary W. Crane

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 07:21:48 am »
Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, you really should be open to the fact that some people just don't know better.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline R. Sawh

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 07:29:53 am »
I was under the impression Nutro was really good food. Why do you say it isn't?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 07:31:42 am »
Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, you really should be open to the fact that some people just don't know better.
That is exactly what I don't understand!!! When you by a can of soup for you and your family don't you want to know what's in it? If you see the info which is totally confusing (BHA, BTA, by-products....) why don't you go and research things? Why people think that no matter what they feed their dogs they should end up with a healthy and a happy dog?
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:40:39 am »
I was under the impression Nutro was really good food. Why do you say it isn't?
It's OK. It is much better than Purina or Pedigree.

Here is the ingredients I pulled from their website.  

Lamb Meal, Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran, Soybean Oil, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of natural Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Rice Gluten, Dried Egg Product, Dried Beet Pulp, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine, Dried Kelp (source of Iodine), Salt, Choline Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurine, Ferrous Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Biotin, Copper Proteinate, Niacin, Manganous Oxide, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin A Supplement, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid.

And here are the ingredients from a very nice food bag. Just look and compare.

Healthy, Natural Ingredients
Lamb Meal, Oatmeal, Brown Rice, Barley, Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Flaxseed Meal, Montmorillonit e Clay, Natural Lamb Flavor, Alfalfa Meal, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Biotin, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ethylenediamin e Dihydriodide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid), Sea Salt, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Sodium Selenite), Lamb Liver, Inulin, Flaxseed Oil, Dried Enterococcus Faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Apples, Carrots, Peas, Freeze Dried Lamb, Freeze Dried Lamb Hearts, Freeze Dried Lamb Liver, Pumpkinseeds, Ground Lamb Bone, Butternut Squash, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Sage, Clove, Rosemary Extract
Mary W. Crane

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 07:45:52 am »
I think there is a bigger factor at play than owner education or affordability going on here ... the pet food companies are irresponsible!  Should you expect inferior ingredients from inferior foods?  Sure.  Should you expect your pet to suddenly go into liver failure and die?  Of course not!  No one deserves that, regardless of the product.  These companies need to be held accountable for the products they are putting on the shelves.  This is FOOD.  There is NO reason for it to do damage such as this.  If this were food created for people, we'd be looking at a whole difference scenario here.  

IMO, the real culprit is the lack of education and regulation in the pet food industry.  It is just atrocious.  I'll get down off my soapbox now.
What I don't understand is how most of the Vets don't educate people at all. How come they know nothing about nutrition? Every friend of mine is looking at the Vet like at the God. They say "My Vet had recommended to feed Iams! He said the food is good! Why would I listen to you and not to someone with Advanced Degree?" Good question, ah? Most of my friend feed their dogs Iams, Eukanuba, Pedigree because their vets said it's OK!
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 07:47:03 am »
Hm, I know what that food is but I can't think of it lol. I recognize the ingredients from doing my research, it was one I was considering for our last doggy.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 07:50:48 am »
I think there is a bigger factor at play than owner education or affordability going on here ... the pet food companies are irresponsible!  Should you expect inferior ingredients from inferior foods?  Sure.  Should you expect your pet to suddenly go into liver failure and die?  Of course not!  No one deserves that, regardless of the product.  These companies need to be held accountable for the products they are putting on the shelves.  This is FOOD.  There is NO reason for it to do damage such as this.  If this were food created for people, we'd be looking at a whole difference scenario here.  

IMO, the real culprit is the lack of education and regulation in the pet food industry.  It is just atrocious.  I'll get down off my soapbox now.
What I don't understand is how most of the Vets don't educate people at all. How come they know nothing about nutrition? Every friend of mine is looking at the Vet like at the God. They say "My Vet had recommended to feed Iams! He said the food is good! Why would I listen to you and not to someone with Advanced Degree?" Good question, ah? Most of my friend feed their dogs Iams, Eukanuba, Pedigree because their vets said it's OK!

It's the same with most people and Dr.'s though, where they or their children's health and lives are concerned. What can ya do? Just try to educate and not judge, that's my take on it anyway.

My vet is pushing to switch my guys' food and seeing as all they carry is Science Diet I know where her suggestion is leading and I know she's full of crap so I just nod knowing she knows nothing about nutrition and that it's my job to educate myself. It would be nice if more vets/dr's were educated on nutrition and other things but it is the way it is I guess.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 07:52:06 am by mama23+pyrs2 »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2007, 07:56:38 am »

It's the same with most people and Dr.'s though, where they or their children's health and lives are concerned. What can ya do? Just try to educate and not judge, that's my take on it anyway.

My vet is pushing to switch my guys' food and seeing as all they carry is Science Diet I know where her suggestion is leading and I know she's full of crap so I just nod knowing she knows nothing about nutrition and that it's my job to educate myself. It would be nice if more vets/dr's were educated on nutrition and other things but it is the way it is I guess.
It would be OK with me as well if I don't have to walk out with a crazy bill every time I go there.
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2007, 07:59:16 am »

It would be OK with me as well if I don't have to walk out with a crazy bill every time I go there.

haha, amen.