Author Topic: MAJOR KIBBLE RE-CALL  (Read 15370 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: MAJOR KIBBLE RE-CALL
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 08:02:15 am »

My vet is pushing to switch my guys' food and seeing as all they carry is Science Diet I know where her suggestion is leading and I know she's full of crap so I just nod knowing she knows nothing about nutrition and that's my job to learn it. It would be nice if more vets/dr's were educated on nutrition and other things but it is the way it is I guess.

Kristina,

That always blows my mind. All of the vets around here carry Science Diet and act like it's the best food around...but they get a wicked cut of the profit.

Anyway, my girls have been on Innova and Nutro and to be perfectly frank, their poops are better on Nutro, they have more energy, and the just seem better and healthier in general on the Nutro. It may not be a great food, but they truly seem better on it. Now, I mix both...

Whatever works, works.  They are fit, lean and extremely healthy.

Julie
Julie, your dogs have better poop with nutro because it has beet pulp in it. It eliminates moisture from dogs colon to make it harder.  
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 08:04:34 am »

My vet is pushing to switch my guys' food and seeing as all they carry is Science Diet I know where her suggestion is leading and I know she's full of crap so I just nod knowing she knows nothing about nutrition and that's my job to learn it. It would be nice if more vets/dr's were educated on nutrition and other things but it is the way it is I guess.

Kristina,

That always blows my mind. All of the vets around here carry Science Diet and act like it's the best food around...but they get a wicked cut of the profit.

Anyway, my girls have been on Innova and Nutro and to be perfectly frank, their poops are better on Nutro, they have more energy, and the just seem better and healthier in general on the Nutro. It may not be a great food, but they truly seem better on it. Now, I mix both...

Julie
Julie, your dogs have better poop with nutro because it has beet pulp in it. It eliminates moisture from dogs colon to make it harder.  

i think my dogs could use a case of beet pulp then lol. i never thought i'd get so excited over a solid dog poop. :-\

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2007, 08:10:15 am »

Kristina,

Julie

i think my dogs could use a case of beet pulp then lol. i never thought i'd get so excited over a solid dog poop. :-\
Have you tried adding canned pumpkin to their meals? It does miracles. I also use Herbal Remedy for loose stools. Ther time a day and the troubles are over!
By the way, my pup was on Solid Gold Wolfcub for the first 3 weeks. I had problems with stool and stinky urine (salmon!) then. I switched to Innova later. We are on Nature's Variety now. Both are very good!
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 08:23:35 am »

Kristina,

Julie

Have you tried adding canned pumpkin to their meals? It does miracles. I also use Herbal Remedy for loose stools. Ther time a day and the troubles are over!
By the way, my pup was on Solid Gold Wolfcub for the first 3 weeks. I had problems with stool and stinky urine (salmon!) then. I switched to Innova later. We are on Nature's Variety now. Both are very good!

Actually yes, the pumpkin is the first thing I tried but they refuse to eat it. :-\ My last dog lapped the stuff up but not these guys. My breeder told me to get them on some plain yogurt which I did but that didn't make a bit of difference. They LOVE carrots and when they eat those it does the trick, of course.

Well I wasn't impressed with Solid Gold's customer service
when I called to tell them what was going on and ask how long I should expect the problem to last. They just told me it could be several weeks and to add in a digestive enzyme..I assume she meant the one they make which I didn't have on hand. I already had a bag of Canidae here waiting to transtiion them because it was even lower in protein and I felt like the ingredients were better, so I emailed that company and they got back to me asap which was impressive. Because the Candiae contains the enzymes and probiotics she said most do well with a quick transition so I started combining the 2 and it didn't make anything worse! haha

Then I found out at the vets last week that they had a bacteria in their stool and they put them on meds for 5 days. Little did I know it could cause diarrhea until I went home and rearched it, and here my vet was talking about changing their food..I just don't know about that vet but that's another story. Anyway, I'm thinking they've had this bacteria for weeks and they didn't catch it and that's what's caused all the trouble. >:(

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 08:31:44 am »

Kristina,

Julie

Actually yes, the pumpkin is the first thing I tried but they refuse to eat it. :-\ My last dog lapped the stuff up but not these guys. My breeder told me to get them on some plain yogurt which I did but that didn't make a bit of difference. They LOVE carrots and when they eat those it does the trick, of course.

when I called to tell them what was going on and ask how long I should expect the problem to last. They just told me it could be several weeks and to add in a digestive enzyme..I assume she meant the one they make which I didn't have on hand. I already had a bag of Canidae here waiting to transtiion them because it was even lower in protein and I felt like the ingredients were better, so I emailed that company and they got back to me asap which was impressive. Because the Candiae contains the enzymes and probiotics she said most do well with a quick transition so I started combining the 2 and it didn't make anything worse! haha

Then I found out at the vets last week that they had a bacteria in their stool and they put them on meds for 5 days. Little did I know it could cause diarrhea until I went home and rearched it, and here my vet was talking about changing their food..I just don't know about that vet but that's another story. Anyway, I'm thinking they've had this bacteria for weeks and they didn't catch it and that's what's caused all the trouble. >:(
Are you talking about gardia and coccodia? Most of the pups have it. Breeders don't want to put pups on antibiotics when they are little and that is why we, the owners, get it with pups!lol
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 08:38:37 am »

Kristina,

Julie

Are you talking about gardia and coccodia? Most of the pups have it. Breeders don't want to put pups on antibiotics when they are little and that is why we, the owners, get it with pups!lol

Yep those are the ones! That's what she treated them for anyway...well the Coccodia, according to what I found out about the medication. They took a sample from each and did a float test and then she came back and wanted a second sample for a different test that would show the actual bacteria not eggs.. and she told me that if one had it, the other one would so she just took it from Yiska. I guess I don't understand why they didn't run both test at the first visit ..oh I know, cause that first fecal was free! lol

Anyway they finished the meds 2 days ago and I *think* they're doing better. I'm too scared to be hopeful.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 08:47:22 am »

Kristina,

Julie

Yep those are the ones! That's what she treated them for anyway...well the Coccodia, according to what I found out about the medication. They took a sample from each and did a float test and then she came back and wanted a second sample for a different test that would show the actual bacteria not eggs.. and she told me that if one had it, the other one would so she just took it from Yiska. I guess I don't understand why they didn't run both test at the first visit ..oh I know, cause that first fecal was free! lol

Anyway they finished the meds 2 days ago and I *think* they're doing better. I'm too scared to be hopeful.
These bacterias don't come out with every stool, lol I am serious though. Some time they come out ones a week and some dogs carry them around for months. They are not as bad as your vet might have presented. Dogs get them from changing foods, from stress, from moving from anything! There are very good herbal drops to treat it without antibiotics.
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 08:59:36 am »

[/quote]
These bacterias don't come out with every stool, lol I am serious though. Some time they come out ones a week and some dogs carry them around for months. They are not as bad as your vet might have presented. Dogs get them from changing foods, from stress, from moving from anything! There are very good herbal drops to treat it without antibiotics.
[/quote]

Yeah, I am sure there are but I was there and she said that and I was like oh boy here we go again with something else. It's always something. And she didn't explain it like that, but I did find out what it's caused from and that makes sense. I usually go the alternative route but so far I've been faced with a couple different issues since I got them and am trying to get them back a healthy state, or TO a healthy state. I think between the bacteria and the food change and the taking them away from their littermates and all that stress, on top of them being wormed the first 3 days.. it's just been a whole snowball effect but I can't wait for some consistent normal stools, I just can't tell you hahah.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2007, 09:02:51 am »
How old is Lily now? She has such a sweet face, it reminds me of Yukon's..very sheepish like.

Offline R. Sawh

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2007, 01:43:09 pm »
Funny about the beet pulp in Nutro.
I talked to a Nutro representative in my pet store and she told me that dogs poop less on Nutro because they only use the inside of the corn kernel so the dog can completely digest it. Normally corn would just be excreted- causing more poop and less nutrition. Made sense to me but I didn't think about the beet pulp adding to the less poop.
My pup defiantly poops a lot less on Nutro and I love it. Now I just have to go clean the backyard now that all the piles aren't buried under snow. 

Anakalia

« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 02:38:32 am »

That much snow + 3 big-ish dogs + little yard = gross.

I hired a pooper scooper lady. She comes every week. I love her.  :D  And she disinfects her tools, shoes and changes clothes between each house so that she doesn't spread disease...and she takes the waste with her when she leaves.

Julie

I bet the pooper scooper lady got a big suprise after the snow melted!  I do not envy her! hahaha

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2007, 02:45:05 am »

That much snow + 3 big-ish dogs + little yard = gross.

I hired a pooper scooper lady. She comes every week. I love her.  :D  And she disinfects her tools, shoes and changes clothes between each house so that she doesn't spread disease...and she takes the waste with her when she leaves.

Julie

I bet the pooper scooper lady got a big suprise after the snow melted!  I do not envy her! hahaha

yeah i've considered hiring one too at least until i can get these dogs bowels back to normal. how cruel of me, they would love me. ;D

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2007, 03:14:07 am »
Oh girls, you have no idea. They go on the north side of the house, which takes the longest to melt...and is right next to the sidewalk (we're on a corner) and it smelled SO bad. It was sooo embarrassing.  Basically, it was 2.5-3 months of poops. I was getting ready to go pooper scoop--In the winter, I usually do it once a week and then the blizzard hit. I literally couldn't get to it for about 12 weeks because the snow wouldn't melt. It was SICK.  But everyone's were like that. Finally, I got to it (I did the major cleanup and then sent her in). It filled 3 kitchen bags.

SICK.

lol thats alot! i know after 3 days of just 2 puppies going it feels like the bag weighs about 5 lbs so i just can't imagine, ewww

Offline jennifer

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2007, 05:20:44 am »
Hi

Weather good brands or not some people can only feed what they can afford and no matter what we may think, no pet should suffer or become Ill because of not knowing about a re-call.

Thanks Winslow's Dad. I agree -- and appreciate the info. :)
:) Jennifer
Mom to Saint Nakita and Charlie the cat

RIP sweet Bear (9/02-8/08)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 05:33:40 am »
Don't know if you guys heard.. but they determined what has been making the animals sick.  Apparently it is a rat poison that is illegal in this country, but was used by the producer of the wheat in China.