Author Topic: What do I feed my Rot/Pit puppy?  (Read 5965 times)

Offline FirstTimePuppyMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What do I feed my Rot/Pit puppy?
« on: March 21, 2007, 05:35:22 am »
Hi,
I am a puppy mommy for the first time.  Gina, my puppy, was given to me as a gift when she was just 4 weeks old.  She is now just 5 months and a little over 50 lbs.  Over the w/e, I took Gina to the vet b/c she had vomitted on Thursday, and then was lifeless the whole day Friday.  She just laid there, sometimes she would look at me, others, just stare and fall off to sleep.  The vet said she had 104.5 temp (what is normal dog temp?), he put her on an IV, gave her a shot of anti-biotic and sent me home with 7days of Clavamox 250mg.  He also gave a call once her blood was analyzed and said that her white blood cell count was very high, she is possibly anemic.  So far, the food recall doesn't have anything to do with the infection.  Her treats and food (Beneful Puppy/Purina) are not on the re-call list, and she only eats dry food.  The discussion came up with my friend (who is the owner of a 8 month old Yorkie) that I should be giving Gina wet food in addition to the dry food.  My vet hasn't suggested anything like that.  Right now, she is eating boiled chicken & white rice mixed with a little purina puppy chow, any advice on what to feed my pup (once she is feeling 100%)?

mama23+pyrs2

Re: What do I feed my Rot/Pit puppy?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 07:18:43 am »
I'd say first like the others say switch to a better food. Alot of people have the assumption that Purina is so good and I've read awful things about Beneful in particular. Even my MIL has always fed her dogs Purina puppy chow/adult and cats also and says how wonderful they do on it but who's really to say unless they were on a high quality diet and you'd see the changes. Whenever I talk about food and she brings that up I just smile and nod haha. No idea what your dogs problem is, do they have any idea or just giving antibiotics as a shot in the dark? How are her stools?

I read that link that was posted and that should help you a lot. Currently mine are on Solid Gold Wolfcub and Canidae lamb and rice until I transition them to strictly Canidae- because it's lower in protein among other reasons.

Mine just got done being treated for a bacteria that they found in their stool samples, temps were fine everything else seemed fine except I've been battling this loose stool problem for awhile, well since I got them and had to transition them quickly from the crappy food they were on. :-\

Better food is gonna carry a much higher pricetag but it's definitely worth it, not to mention dogs generally consume much less of a quality food then one that is nutritionally deficient.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:38 am »
going to canned or even just adding too much to diesel's (great dane, we have problems with his weight because he is very nervous due to his last owner so we add a teaspoon to entice him to eat)gives my pups the runs super bad. plus i believe in the idea that hard food helps keep their teeth cleaner b/c it scrapes their teeth instead of caking in between them.  we love innova, it keeps them healthy, with a shiny coat and they're not "fat" they're solid.  they also love it sooooo much too.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 07:26:09 am »
Yeah I forgot to mention the wet food, that really has no benefit and isn't good for the teeth not to mention it might upset her bowels badly, it's kind of notorious for that and I know it wreaked havoc on these guys when my breeder fed them a little with their wormer. We paid for it all the way home with horrible gas for HOURS and it was a 9 hour trip. :o And then major runs for the next several days. I wouldn't add in wet personally.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 07:31:53 am »
I feed Innova too, the adult formula. We recently switched to it and are halfway through second bag. I'd definitely recommend it. Plus since it's 557 calories per cup, you end up feeding alot less of it. The 33lb bag lasts me over 2 weeks and I'm feeding 2 Saint Bernards.

Canidae is also a good choice and is reasonably priced. They make an all life stages food as well as a chicken/rice and lamb/rice.

Oh and Welcome to BPO! Your pup is adorable!  :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 07:52:20 am »
Yeah I forgot to mention the wet food, that really has no benefit and isn't good for the teeth not to mention it might upset her bowels badly, it's kind of notorious for that and I know it wreaked havoc on these guys when my breeder fed them a little with their wormer. We paid for it all the way home with horrible gas for HOURS and it was a 9 hour trip. :o And then major runs for the next several days. I wouldn't add in wet personally.
I totally agree with you! If I want to give wet food to my dog I boil beef heart, liver, grounf beef and add some barley or oats or brown rice (just a little bit) and feed it. It only cost $5 and lasts a week or so as an addition to regular food. She loves it!!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline FirstTimePuppyMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:33:18 am »
Thanks all, I will look into getting better quality food for her.  Also, thanks for the feed back on the wet vs dry food.  (in reply to some questions, her stool is good, solid, not too hard, she is a regular 2-3 times a day crapper - however it stinks to high heaven, but I guess from what you guys say...crap in = crap out...)As far as her being sick, the vet said the blood came back with a very high white blood cell count.  He said this looks like maybe anemia, or it is from the infection.  I have to bring her back in 3 weeks for another blood test :(
I will keep you posted...
thanks again for the support!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 09:39:58 am »
Thanks all, I will look into getting better quality food for her.  Also, thanks for the feed back on the wet vs dry food.  (in reply to some questions, her stool is good, solid, not too hard, she is a regular 2-3 times a day crapper - however it stinks to high heaven, but I guess from what you guys say...crap in = crap out...)As far as her being sick, the vet said the blood came back with a very high white blood cell count.  He said this looks like maybe anemia, or it is from the infection.  I have to bring her back in 3 weeks for another blood test :(
I will keep you posted...
thanks again for the support!

Yeah that's another good thing about good food is less waste and less stinky too! My pups stunk AWFUL when I got them, their breath and stools, everything- yuck. After almost 5 weeks of changing foods there is a very noticable and dramatic change in the smell. We aren't yet quite where we want to be yet but getting there!  Best of luck with your doggy! I hope she feels lots better soon. Will look for your updates. :)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 09:47:10 am »
so true, about the poop smell and breath smell, mama23!  also, i've noticed with the innova diesel only goes 2-3 times a day too BUT it is a TON smaller amount than when he was on low quality dog food when we got him.  i would definately ask the vet if he ran a good fecal.  to check for hook worms and whip worms can both cause anemia.  we had an episode of hook worm / whip worm and a regular fecal didn't come up with anything, BUT when they did another and a urinalysis with it they caught it.  here's a good website for you to read.  this website does say:

"Other anemia-inducing substances include anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin, zinc, and propylene glycol, which is sometimes found in canned food."

http://www.pets.ca/encyclopedia/anemia.htm
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:01:46 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 10:40:48 am »
so true, about the poop smell and breath smell, mama23!  also, i've noticed with the innova diesel only goes 2-3 times a day too BUT it is a TON smaller amount than when he was on low quality dog food when we got him.

o my gosh yes. they were SOOO offensive, I was actually concerned like oh man, is this gonna go away? talk about toxic smelling. i was so looking foward to the puppy breath! but it's back now and i can accept their kisses without holding my nose lol