Author Topic: it just seems kind of funny to me...  (Read 14423 times)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: it just seems kind of funny to me...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 03:41:09 pm »
I do not believe x-rays can be sent to OFA without the owners signature on the paperwork. If you think he did send them contact OFA via email...they are fast to respond.

I would go for x-ray's at another vet and have them sent them to OFA for a prelim (this can be done as young as 4 months old). Then go forward from their finding.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:44:36 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Krystal_00

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 04:44:33 pm »
Thank you very much everyone!!

I did ask him to send the x-rays to OFA...because I wanted the prelim...but now I'm not so sure, ah well I guess, it cant hurt anything I guess. I will be getting a copy however.

I have Mack taking Glucosamine every day...but im not100% on the dosage? can too much hurt him? I will have to read more :D I also know that keeping his weight down is important...lo l not let him get rolly poley on me :) other than that...what can I do to ease any pain he may be having...and try and lessen the amount of pain he will have? I dont let him jump out or in to the truck, or off of anything, i try not to take him on super long walks on pavement...in the summer I am going to take him swimming every day...good exercise with no joint stress...any other suggestions?
When the last fish has been caught and the last tree has been cut down...Only then will man realize that he cannot eat money.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 02:02:08 am »
I absolutely have no better advise than what you have been given already but wanted you to know that we will be thinking of you and Mack. 

Randy & Harley

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 03:18:59 am »
should all large breeds be xrayed at some point to check these things? i read something about doing it at 6 mos..my vet never said a whole lot about it, as far as future plans.. Isn't OFA certification mainly for breeding purposes?

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 04:08:45 am »
OFA is for breeding and showing, I would think. Most average Joe pet owners don't even bother with an xray, unless there are problems or the vet is unusually thorough and recommends it. Of course  BYB's don't bother with them either despite planning to breed.
I don't think it is a bad idea to do xrays on the giants, as a screening proceedure. If there is a problem, there are alot of pallitive things that can be done while the dog is asymptomatic that can help in the long run. Kinda like heartworm testing and prevention.
Stella

OK, thanks..i wasn't sure. i'll have to ask my new vet about it. i posted before about a crackling that my vet felt in my female's hip on her first exam. she did mention xray at that time for in the future to tell for sure if anything was wrong..and i believe she said she'd do it like when she spayed her. but she's only had 1 hip check so i'm trying not to worry.

Anakalia

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 04:57:29 am »
Wow, I can not believe the vet talked to you like that over the phone!  >:(  You definitely need a second opinion.  Koby's hips aren't the best either, we'll be getting some more x-rays the next time he needs to be anesthetized, probably when he gets his teeth cleaned, but I give him a joint supplement and he does great, always running around and jumping he doesn't act like they bother him at all.  I'll be thinking of you and Mack, hopefully you'll feel much better after getting a second opinion!