Author Topic: Pet Meds - Where to Buy  (Read 7092 times)

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
  • Angelina, aka Angel Face, Sib Husky
    • View Profile
Pet Meds - Where to Buy
« on: March 25, 2007, 03:03:19 am »
I'm almost out of Frontline and Heartgard and I'm looking for a new, affordable supplier.  Where do you guys buy your pet meds?  With 2 cats and 2 large dogs, it can get rather expensive.  I would consider buying generic meds too if y'all can recommend some as well as a supplier.  My vet will give me a prescription for the meds.  He understands I rescue animals with limited income. 

Thanks for any information.

NancyAnn
"Just living isn't enough," said the Butterfly.  "One must have freedom, sunshine, and a little flower."  (Hans Christian Anderson)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Pet Meds - Where to Buy
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:24:55 am »
we usually buy from drfostersmith. com.  they're really good when it comes to not having expired stuff (at least my experience is we've never had a problem).  they also sell treats, flea stuff, etc.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:45:24 am »
www.kvvet.com
Great prices and free shipping on most items.

You may want to look into Iverhart Plus (generic heartgard) instead of Heartgard. Its 40% cheaper and is identical. I paid 14.95 for a 6 month supply of 26-50lbs.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:47:31 am by VdogLover »

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 03:39:29 am »
Thanks for all the info.  I'll certainly check with the feed store after I talk to my vet.  Whatever I can't get at the feedstore, I'll get from one of those sites y'all mentioned.  You guys have been a great help!

NancyAnn
"Just living isn't enough," said the Butterfly.  "One must have freedom, sunshine, and a little flower."  (Hans Christian Anderson)

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:58:53 am »
I checked with my vet about the Ivomec from the feed store.  He said I can use it, BUT it's too strong taken straight. Taken straight it can, over time, damage the heart and kidneys in dogs. And mixing it with water doesn't work either because they're like water and oil--they don't mix.  He said I should bring it to his office and let him "cut" it.  Then I can administer it orally.  So I think that's how I'll go with that.  It's cheaper than ordering the meds online.

So now I need a cheap source for Frontline.

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 04:38:49 pm »
I have used this online supplier with good results:  www.petcarerx. com
Salli, Annie's mama!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 04:43:43 pm »
kvvet was overcharging on advantix.  My ivomec is comign from there, but my advantix is coming from the site Liz posted.  Like 15 dollar price difference or more for my advantix.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:49 pm »
kvvet was overcharging on advantix.  My ivomec is comign from there, but my advantix is coming from the site Liz posted.  Like 15 dollar price difference or more for my advantix.

For those of us who do not know peoples first names on here which site are you speaking of. I do not use Advantax but will check the site Advantage prices.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 11:28:44 pm »
I use this site to buy my meds

http://www.vetproductsdirect.com.au/vetprods/index.asp

In canada we dont need a perscription to order, but you do in the US.

Are you speaking of Heartworm medications? If so, does this mean they are available at Canadian pet supply stores such as Petsmart?

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 05:13:27 am »
Sorry.. Liz is Daneinsane..
I use vetproductsdir ect too.

No, heartworm medication, we can buy from a variety of sites without prescription, but it's not avalible locally like that.  If I wanted to buy from most american sites, I'd need the RX.
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

chaosndestruction

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 05:16:53 am »
We buy from calvetsupply.c om for our flea prevention.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 06:34:44 am »
Sorry.. Liz is Daneinsane..
I use vetproductsdir ect too.

No, heartworm medication, we can buy from a variety of sites without prescription, but it's not avalible locally like that.  If I wanted to buy from most american sites, I'd need the RX.

Well darn I was thinking Canadas only a hop skip and jump from my front door.

Offline ButterflyChaser

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 12:50:41 pm »
Wow, thanks for all the information everybody.  Getting a RX won't be a problem.  My vet understands my limited finances.  He's in the profession more for the healing than for the money.  He's a darling!

I'll check out the sources you guys suggested. Thanks again!

NancyAnn