Author Topic: split nail??  (Read 3705 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
split nail??
« on: March 28, 2007, 11:51:53 pm »
Hey all... it looks like fumble has split his nail on the front foot, last nail (human pinky).... what should i do??? He's been chewing on it and it looks like that's what has happened.. he's not bleeding, but it's like 1/2 and 1/2... what should i do?? is there any way of bandaging it?? should i go to the vet??
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Anakalia

Re: split nail??
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2007, 01:55:40 am »
Awww poor Fumble!  Koby's had a split nail last year and I took him to the vet because I was worried of it getting infected.  He ended up being fine but the vet did tell me what to do just in case it did get infected or what to do if it fell off or started bleeding, ya know "worst case scenario" type things.  I felt a lot better after that visit.  If it's something that's worrying you I'd at least call the vet clinic to see what they say.  Get better soon Fumble!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:13:02 am »
well.... i was an absolute nervous wreck this morning because it really did look bad, and i was afraid that he would chew on it and it would bleed.... i just got home from work though for lunch, with a vet appt, and it doesn't look as bad as it did.. plus the little stinkerdid chew it off.. so it's just a little on the bottom that's exposed, but no blood.. we're going to see kali and her family on saturday and i'm sure that if they think it looks bad i'll go get a second opionion.  i always jsut hate going to the vet and looking like an idiot because i'm a nervous ninny when it comes to my big baby bear
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 06:24:49 am »
HAHAHAHAA! I AM definitely a nervous ninny! My vet clinic and I are on a first name basis, I call them all the time to ask questions.  I freak out about the smallest things and they usually end up telling me not to worry.  ::) 

I'm glad Fumbles nail is looking better this afternoon!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 10:15:00 am »
haha!!  i went to the vet!!  she was really sweet about it!  she did say that it was natural for me to be worried because his quik was esposed on the whole right side of the nail... but she said it looks like it was done a while back because iti's already healing.. so that's good!  although we clipped his nails two days ago and i must have missed it..

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 10:36:13 am »
aww poor Fumble. im glad his toes are ok. Zero has the WORST toe nails in the world. they have yeast infections and so he HATES them to be touched. and they get really soft in the winter and the infection gets worse because his feet are wet... his toe nails will split, the whole top of the nail will seperate from the bottom and look like a pac man face (to discribe it best) and it REALLY hurts him. we've had to  get TWO shells pulled off his foot. and a few fall off on his own.  and with salt and sand on the roads we bandage his feet with empty cleaned out vet IV bags and wrap them with vet wrap for his walks hahaha. poor zero. But he is fine. and i know fumble will be too!  good luck in the future with the nails ;)

Jo
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~