Author Topic: Favorite things to chew?  (Read 7729 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Favorite things to chew?
« on: March 30, 2007, 03:18:34 am »
I gotta find these guys some things to chew that they like and are good for them. I've heard Greenies are out, I've heard rawhide is no good. Someone recommended bully sticks and someone else said they disagreed with their dog. I've always seen bully sticks but didn't know what they actually were until I read the descrip the other day and um, I don't think I could handle those. :o  Besides real meaty bones that I would only get as a treat to eat in the yard- do you have any other recommendation s? What do you give your dogs to chew?

I don't have any bones now except this huge rawhide I got them so they could maybe chew on it at the same time and not fight- they won't chew it at all haa. Anything I get them they now go through it in no time. Their favorite is porkhide but they eat it literally in 10-20 mins depending on which dog and that doesn't seem good to consume like that, not to mention defeats the purpose, when it's gone they are looking for something else to chew. They really aren't into 'toys'.

Thanks!

mama23+pyrs2

Re: Favorite things to chew?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:40:28 am »
Hey there! I would not be deterred from the bully stick! If you can give your pups pig ears and what not you can definitely muster it up to do bully sticks! They last a good amount of time. My boys LOVE them!
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=20347592&dept%5Fid=1130&brand%5Fid=619&Page=&mscssid=TWM964APTXUF9MJBB26B5686NJJ46TA3

There is also a GREAT bone called "the sarge" by Merrick here's what they look like
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=20347585&dept%5Fid=1129&brand%5Fid=619&Page=&mscssid=TWM964APTXUF9MJBB26B5686NJJ46TA3
and let me tell you that is a great price, the 5 for $30. At a store near me, they sell EACH one for $10!

Also these are a big hit! Flossies!
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/product_detail.asp?pf%5Fid=20347587&dept%5Fid=1132&brand%5Fid=619&Page=2&mscssid=TWM964APTXUF9MJBB26B5686NJJ46TA3

I am totally with Stella about Kongs! We fill ours with Natural Peanut butter and freeze them and just keep them in the freezer on hand most of the time!

I also get frozen raw bones from a dog store here for me they are cheaper then the ones at whole foods (like $7 a piece?!!? and they were small!) the ones at the dog store I get like 6 frozen marrow bones for like $10 or $12. Also if there is butcher near you that is good, you might be able to get them for a great deal!

I hope this helps!

Well i can't do pig ears lol, I look at them and put them back i can't bring myself to see them chewing a pigs ear. I know rawhide and stuff is still the same thing, different part but i can handle it easier, it looks like a bone hahaha. 

I will look at those links you posted!  Thanks for all the suggestions so far, this will definitely help!

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:42:30 am »
Oh also, I'll have to try a kong again, it may just be a hit with them. I had one for my american eskimo and she just wasn't impressed with it. She could never get stuff out and she'd just give up, she wouldn't actually chew on the kong either- so I kinda lost confidence in the kong thing but I can try again!

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 05:00:51 am »
But your dogs may be smarter than him, as he rides a short bus and plays with earthworms too.
Stella

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Stella you are hilarious!  ;D

I'll have to try that Sarge bone for Koby I'm sure he'd love it!  I normally just use the kong with peanut butter but I've also gotten Koby those stuffed bones too with the peanut butter inside. He used to love to chew things, but not so much anymore, he just licks the pb! lol

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:28:47 am »
ok so you can't do a pig ear. For some reason I thought you did I guess I took pork hide as that. Anyways your dogs will love bully sticks and they are the ones chewing on them. Also bully sticks and the sarge don't leave a dirty meaty look on carpets and they don't splinter. The sarge can be like ripped apart (the dried meat) and once they get all the meat off and are down to the bone, I would throw the bone away. you don't want them to eat the actually bone.

No, porkhide looks just like rawhide basically but I read somewhere it was better? no idea.  I was a vegetarian for many years and even now when I eat meat (a rare occasion), it can't resemble meat in any way, it just seriously digusts me so that's why I have trouble with meat and muscles and stuff, gag. Anyway, I know they will love so I'll have to get over it and use a glove or something to pick it up off the floor lol.  I know, maybe I'm weird but oh well. :P Love the stuff not leaving yuck on the floor- that's a plus! How long would you say these last?  Hopefully awhile since they aren't cheap! Do you order them from that website?

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 05:55:19 am »
I can only tell you about how long stuff lasts around here for my dogs.  The large knuckle bones last weeks but mine will only really chew on them for about 1-2 hours straight and then it's on and off for the next couple of weeks.  Pig ears last about 15 minutes if that long but mine love them.  Bully sticks lasted 1 hour but I only bought one large one and then thirded it so I get more for my money that way.  Cow hooves last a couple of days and they all three love them.  My dogs don't really like kongs even when they are loaded with treats.  They'll lick the pb or whatever out and then leave them.  Empty coke bottles and water bottles are great fun and mine love tearing them up.  They usually last about an hour or so.  My three are heavy chewers and Shiner is the very worst chewer and has to have something in his mouth at all times to chew on.  Hope that helps
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2007, 06:33:26 am »
We get..

Real Marrow bones-at the pet store, pre-packed and frozen so they take longer, they are on a get 1 free plan at Global Pet stores

Bully sticks-yes, they stink, and yes they are penis but nobody said you had to eat it ::), you can get them pre-packed at petsmart and never have to touch them if you want. Phelan has some gas with them, but LOVES them!

Coconuts-so far the entertainment hasn't stopped and he's had it almost a week

Kongs-if you buy one of the kong filler sprays you get this little plastic piece that plugs the little hole and lets you fill them up with anything without leaking---i melt peanut butter and throw it in the freezer, or beef stocks, then they have a nice cold treat that keeps them entertained

Offline gottsislandgirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 10:29:14 am »
Percy has a great time with stuffed animals. I get them from a second-hand store lady who saves them out for me (lots are actually still new, and the others I throw in the wash before giving them to the dog). I do have to sort out the ones that have wierd stuffing; the ones with battery-type innards I either heave or find a way to make them safe but that's not too hard to do. Some he likes more than others, and none last very long, but oh well. He wears out pretty much any type bone we get him in short order and he destroys most real toys we buy at the pet store in less than half a day. But the thrift stuffed animals are an endless source of entertainment for him. And us. Sometimes it looks like the Coliseum in here by the end of the night.

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 12:40:36 pm »

Bully sticks-yes, they stink, and yes they are penis

I hope that's a typo! EW EW GAG PUKE :o :o

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2007, 12:41:44 pm »
Thanks again for all your suggestions, I'm definitely going to try them out! And boy I bet I'll have some happy dogs when I do!! :)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2007, 01:10:36 pm »
OMG, okay well I didn't know THAT. I guess the dog mag I was reading didn't want to describe them exactly and just said they were muscles lol.  Wow, now pig ears don't look so bad lol, oh dear.

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2007, 02:21:57 pm »
That's funny about bully sticks...

I was at Bark N Purr, a local pet store here, and picked up a short stick. I wasn't sure if it was a bully stick (I've usually seen them in 1 foot lengths). I asked the guy behind the counter what it was, and he asked, "Do you really want to know?" I said, I mean, is it a bully stick? He said yes, but I wondered afterwards what the heck they use for those things. I ended up picking up a couple of bones. I usually buy the ones that are about 6-8 inches long and mostly hollow (they seem to splinter less, but only the ones from Bark N Purr and Petsmart-Sadie can shred the same bones at Petco and this other store I've bought them at). I bought a knuckle bone or whatever it is this time, and Sadie has slowly chipped away at it. But Riley is into it, too, and he's not usually that into bones. It's great when the weather is a mess, like today. He's been a nut case all day. I asked my dad about them eating pieces of the bones, and he said something to the effect of, "They've been doing it for thousands of years." Still... I worry about it, so I tend to buy those long ones that I know they can't break easily. And those are the only ones I'll leave around when I'm not home.

As for kongs, I fill up a couple of them daily with peanut butter. I try to freeze them overnight. I give them to the dogs before I leave. They don't chew on them; they just lick the peanut butter out. I guess it's not as much of an energy release as a bone, but it keeps them busy. I occasionally do a rawhide, nylabone, or pig ear as a treat. They've had bully sticks once. The pig ears and bully stick were big gas producers for Sadie!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 02:23:13 pm »
Oh and thanks for the good ideas. I'm going to try one of those sarge things and the nylabones that were mentioned! Sadie gets through anything but bones in 5-10 minutes, so I'm interested in finding good chew things!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2007, 03:35:39 pm »
This question depends on which dog you are speaking of,Falkor is the youngest and therefore chews the most.

he still likes socks tied in knots.you know the socks that end up missing in a pair after the dryer,or get holes in them.

His most favorite is Levi's An old pair that doens't fit or is getting holy we tie the legs in knots and he loves that .
His favorite thing recently is the **ripping sound **that can be made in a tug o war game or if no one will play,he stands on one end and plays the game himself.*rip rip rip*

Tricia and the fur kids